Blackbaud - Working in development has been great | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blackbaud

"Working in development has been great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* As a Software Engineer, I have had nothing but good experiences with my coworkers, managers, and overall compensation.
* The pay and benefits are above what I was expecting as a first time career level job right out of college.
* I have never been pressured to work overtime or on weekends (and even had a manager tell me not to because time off makes for more productive work time overall)
* Regular times scheduled with my immediate manager to ask how I am feeling about my position and work overall, and they are willing to work with me if I ever feel like I'm in a slump or don't enjoy what I am doing.

Cons

* Outside of development, I have heard some horror stories. I can't address these directly since I have not experienced them, but specifically from the Support division, I know some people who say it's been almost the exact opposite of my own experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing for developers, but realize that the people in support are just as important.

Other Employee Reviews for Blackbaud

"Leadership?"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Checks don't bounce. Parking is okay.

Cons

Benefits are limited. Executive Leadership management communications is corporate speak gobbledygook -- meaningless, frustrating, and at times downright insulting. There may be good individual leaders at Blackbaud. However, it does appear that as a group, a few things are true about the Executive Leadership Team. There is no emphasis on product quality, customer satisfaction, or employee satisfaction. The rule of the day is company politics. Many stupid corporate management decisions are in play every day. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are being wasted on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Seriously, get a clue.

"Promising at first, but bureaucratic culture prevents long-term job satisfaction."

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Casual attire permitted, occasional events to boost morale, good benefits, and a few miscellaneous perks including gaming in the cafeteria.

Cons

- Management strings you along at below fair market salaries with empty promises of increase
    - Base compensation is low across the board and commission driven bonus structure creates an incentive to trade quality service for quantity
    - The business is not led by innovators, and retains unimaginative leaders through a system similar to university tenure. Managers are in their roles most often because they were with the company long than other candidates. I've seen highly intelligent and ambitious candidates passed over for jobs, when less motivated individuals get the promotion because they had been with the company for 5 years.
    - The current CEO has done well to maximize shareholder value; however, the company is merely retrenching into a place of comfort rather than pushing for innovation and relevancy.
    - Along the same lines, there is very little room for autonomy and innovation. Blackbaud still resembles the 90's tech company that achieved initial success... riding the coat-tail of their Razor's Edge product.
    - Intelligent people leave all the time for higher paying more satisfying jobs.
    - There are eager young minds knocking at the door for jobs, yet it's very difficult for them to find a position due to disproportionately high priority to higher from within. I'm baffled by this when I walk through rows of empty cubes on Friday mornings. Seriously, one-third to maybe half of the employees at headquarters come into the office on Fridays. This includes management too!

Advice to Management

- You will not survive unless you encourage innovation among your employees! Don't just say you value innovation. Be an example and actively encourage it.
    - Don't string your employees along with empty promises or by adorning them with meaningless new titles. Pay them what they deserve.