Blackbaud - A great disappointment | Glassdoor

"A great disappointment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. 401k and Insurance. Office location is great in the N. Austin area, easy access to the transit system.

Cons

Ambitions are there but fail to implement. New hires in Austin within various departments offer input to change the past negative culture. This was encouraged as they finally consolidated positions after years of acquisitions. When suggestions to improve processes and policies team member were litterally laughed at or simply ignored.

Also, training is offerred but there is a lack of documentation on what they want so when someone messses up or makes a simple mistake they can easily criticize ones work or even a department. After months of following a 'trained' process my manager retracts what was said and finally offers more details to what is needed. It is until this manager is in the hot seat that we are throne under the bus with a mass email on what we are doing wrong. This is constant and frustrating as we are simply trying to do our job the 'right' way but when misled for weeks to months it is greatly discouraging.

Tools are far outdated by at least 10 years and implementation of a new monitoring tool stalled.

For an IT company people in other locations hate being bothered off hours or on weekends. My question is didn't these people choose their career? If you don't like it move onto another company and let everyone else get back to work and help the client.

Advice to Management

What I see with bad reviews is constant. 'Listen to your employees', this is typicaly but very true. So, listen to your employees as this past year Blackbaud employeed various people from many different companies that offer great ideas to move on, to make things better.

Get rid of your outdated tools sooner than 4-5 years. Come up with a 1 year plan to rid the company of outdate processes, lack of documentation and software tools.

Get it through your teams that they chose this profession and if they are uncomfortable with being contacted off hours or on weekends this is not a home for them.

Other Employee Reviews for Blackbaud

1. "Experience depends on which department you are in and organizational communication is terrible."

Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, happy hours, nice office.

Cons

Worst organizational communication I've ever been a part of.

Advice to Management

Figure out what is going on in your company.

2. "There are many opportunities to grow, but many areas of frustration, too."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blackbaud is at its core a good company. Because at its core are the people that work hard every day. You are rarely prevented from moving around or up according to your experience and skills. Most line managers are encouraging and try to help you do your best. Being remote is an option a lot of employees take advantage of. And there is a fair amount of flexibility in terms of work hours.

Cons

The company has hit many growing pains. Acquisitions of other companies generally puts a strain on current and new staff members. It feels like Blackbaud has hit an identity crisis in many ways. No longer the small company that can closely align itself with its core market, the non-profit sector. Not big enough, shrewd enough to play with the big boys in the for profit world. It is truly a struggle between meeting the needs of investors and being true to its humble privately held roots.

Advice to Management

Find growth through means other than acquisitions.