Blizzard Entertainment - Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

"Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there"

Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA

Pros

It's hard to think of any reason to work for a sweat-shop.

Cons

Ok, so the list:
When they fire people, they don't do it quietly, they send an e-mail to the entire company saying "so-and-so is no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, as with all guests, please escort them at all times when on company property". You've gotta be kidding me! you think that boosts morale? what a joke.

Regarding career development, I asked the lead game designer for WoW about what it would take for me to move from being a tools programmer to a game developer. My problem was I had no experience, and all job requirements say you need at least 2 shipped titles. Guess what his answer was!? He told me "to be quite honest, you'll probably have to leave Blizzard, get some experience else-where, then come back to work here". You've gotta be freakin' kidding me if you consider that career growth, and advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Blizzard was absolutely the worst place I've worked, and i'm not the only one, take a look at your GM department, you'd be hard-pressed to find one person that doesn't work there anymore say a single good thing about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

"Excellent company with amazing leadership!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

Pros

I am extremely proud to work for Blizzard Entertainment.

It is an excellent company with amazing leadership. I have never seen a company full of so many wonderful and talented people. The company treats employees extremely well and encourages career development. You are expected to do your best and adhere to the standards of Blizzard quality.

Blizzard quality - the devotion to the the concept still amazes me every day. Everyone in the company is doing his/her best to produce the best gaming experience. It is truly amazing and brings out the best in people.

Overall, it is a demanding but fun company to work for.

Cons

I am really happy here and can't find any downsides.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job.

2. "Great company and games but a disorganized structure"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

A passion for quality, good salaries and benefits, good atmosphere

Cons

Disorganized management constantly changing visions and not communicating it efficiently to employees, which can be demotivating. A lot of wasted time and energy could be avoided with better transparency and better change management.