Blizzard Entertainment - Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there | Glassdoor

"Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there"

Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

It's hard to think of any reason to work for a sweat-shop.

Cons

Ok, so the list: When they fire people, they don't do it quietly, they send an e-mail to the entire company saying "so-and-so is no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, as with all guests, please escort them at all times when on company property". You've gotta be kidding me! you think that boosts morale? what a joke. Regarding career development, I asked the lead game designer for WoW about what it... would take for me to move from being a tools programmer to a game developer. My problem was I had no experience, and all job requirements say you need at least 2 shipped titles. Guess what his answer was!? He told me "to be quite honest, you'll probably have to leave Blizzard, get some experience else-where, then come back to work here". You've gotta be freakin' kidding me if you consider that career growth, and advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Blizzard was absolutely the worst place I've worked, and i'm not the only one, take a look at your GM department, you'd be hard-pressed to find one person that doesn't work there anymore say a single good thing about it.

Blizzard Entertainment2008-08-19

"Best years of my career happened here and more are still to come"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genuinely amazing workplace. I know there are a lot of folks out in social media and reddit who believe Blizzard is "losing its soul" but it can't be further from the truth. Yes, there were some major decisions that happened earlier in the year and quite a few personal friends and colleagues were affected. It hurt, and it still kind of does but that doesn't mean Blizzard isn't still doing what we set out to do.... This isn't the first time I've lived through an organizational leadership change and it won't be the last. I can share that for a fact, Blizzard handled this in a much more mature and transparent manner than most other companies I've worked at. The company still holds true the values that are embossed around the Orc statue in our main quad and leadership is very serious about making sure they don't disrupt the culture here at the company. With our main focus now being on games - they are definitely getting the most attention but that doesn't mean the rest of us are shafted in any regard. In fact, I honestly don't think much changed from the past 2-3 years in terms of my team's culture and activities. If you're scared of what you've heard on social (yes, we all have phones) don't worry too much about it. Blizzard is still an amazing place to work and I am still excited everyday coming in to see what the new challenges are and what we're planning.

Cons

- Strong focus on games teams means they get almost all the resources they ask for. Some people feel shafted but it doesn't really hinder most other teams as much as it's made out to be. - Management transition - it's never an easy task and most of us are still waiting it out to see how the new team will lead us into the future. I'm optimistic and willing to wait patiently to see what happens. Feels weird but... so far, so good. - Wish I got paid more.... but don't we all? - 401k match could definitely be better - Health insurance could really be cheaper - gets very expensive with 2 kids + spouse on the plan at the current rates.

Advice to Management

Maintain what makes Blizzard unique to the rest of the technology and gaming landscape. So far, you've done a great job and I personally still believe in what you're doing. Just don't let us and your community down.

Blizzard Entertainment2019-06-03

"Fun Work Environment, Long Hours, Great Perks"

Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Everyone who works at Blizzard is incredibly passionate about gaming and Blizzard IPs. Work hard and it will pay off. Great benefits and employee perks.

Cons

long hours and the work/life balance isn't great depending on what team you are on.

Blizzard Entertainment2019-10-13

Discover more reviews about Blizzard Entertainment.