Blizzard Entertainment - Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

"Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there"

Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA

Pros

It's hard to think of any reason to work for a sweat-shop.

Cons

Ok, so the list:
When they fire people, they don't do it quietly, they send an e-mail to the entire company saying "so-and-so is no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, as with all guests, please escort them at all times when on company property". You've gotta be kidding me! you think that boosts morale? what a joke.

Regarding career development, I asked the lead game designer for WoW about what it would take for me to move from being a tools programmer to a game developer. My problem was I had no experience, and all job requirements say you need at least 2 shipped titles. Guess what his answer was!? He told me "to be quite honest, you'll probably have to leave Blizzard, get some experience else-where, then come back to work here". You've gotta be freakin' kidding me if you consider that career growth, and advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Blizzard was absolutely the worst place I've worked, and i'm not the only one, take a look at your GM department, you'd be hard-pressed to find one person that doesn't work there anymore say a single good thing about it.

Other Employee Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

"Excellent company with amazing leadership!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

Pros

I am extremely proud to work for Blizzard Entertainment.

It is an excellent company with amazing leadership. I have never seen a company full of so many wonderful and talented people. The company treats employees extremely well and encourages career development. You are expected to do your best and adhere to the standards of Blizzard quality.

Blizzard quality - the devotion to the the concept still amazes me every day. Everyone in the company is doing his/her best to produce the best gaming experience. It is truly amazing and brings out the best in people.

Overall, it is a demanding but fun company to work for.

Cons

I am really happy here and can't find any downsides.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job.

2. "Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- The people - passionate, energetic, fun and genuine, never dread going to work. Surrounded by creative people who truly want to move the organisation forward. Everyone is approachable and helpful.

- Work/life balance - I'm respected to do my work and encouraged to respect my personal time.

- Development - very focused on growing internal talent and exposing them to internal opportunities, never seems to be a lack of constructive feedback or coaching to move you forward.

Cons

- Hard to integrate to the embedded culture and complex structure. Need to help new hires more especially at more senior levels. Whilst you are encouraged to take your time to integrate there is not a lot of help to understand how.

- Slow moving, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, feel like we have to loop in a lot of people to make a decision.

- Flexible working - would love to see a bit more flexibility in how we work - either in working hours, flexi-time, part-time, remote working, work from home etc.

Advice to Management

Actively seek to remove barriers in decision making. As the company grows trust the talented people you have hired to make decisions.