Blockbuster - Decent perks and minimum wage | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

"Decent perks and minimum wage"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oceanside, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally had more free rentals than I knew what to do with, and I got to talk about games and movies for works.

Cons

Never went above minimum wage, and your experience is really going to be determined more on whether you get a good manager(s) more than anything else. Also, got terminated pretty suddenly when the store I worked at closed, with pretty much no explanation as to why I wasn't able to be transferred to another location.

Advice to Management

Sales goals seemed way too driven towards snack foods with movies. I'd rather the bigger focus been finding movies for people that they're going to enjoy, and based on what they've enjoyed in the past, giving them good suggestions for the next movies they watch.

Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster

1. "Fun Job With Many Loyal Customers and Lots of Perks."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, lots of freedom to run the store as you choose. You got to watch movies all day, and rent new releases before they were released. Many loyal customers who became friends.

Cons

Relatively low pay. Lack of business towards the end, coupled with home office's unwillingness to change their business model. Franchise went under.

2. "very laid back sociable environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than a year)

Pros

this is a very laid back company that is an amazing first job as you get ten free rentals a week including games. plus you get the movies almost a whole week prior to the titles actual release.

Cons

alot of times you have to deal with some customers that are less then pleasant and some are down right nasty. one time i got a movie back that had at least 20 roaches in it. but honestly in all retail locations you have those nasty kind of people so for its only con it is not a deal breaker

Advice to Management

do background/drug checks and check the discs your employees bring back i have heard of many employees burning copies destroying the disc and returning it and blaming it on a customer