Blockbuster - Culture Club | Glassdoor

"Culture Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Blockbuster full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good forward looking identification of market conditions
At one time, great brand recognition, still salvageable

Cons

(previously) Poor choices in meeting market conditions (strategy identification & execution)
- Held on to the belief they know movies best (making internal solutions more complex than necessary).... long after innovation in movie delivery proved more valuable (redbox, netflix)
-(previously) management decisions not sufficiently strategic, spreading focus and resources too thin to achieve necessary survival
-Resource management by layoff. Instead of managing new hires, BB allowed to hire too many people this year, layoffs every spring (illustrates a disregard for people/employees)

Advice to Management

Management has already made many necessary changes

Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster

1. "Best Minimum Wage Job You Can Find"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blockbuster part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for any minimum wage job, Blockbuster is the place to be. Being a CSR there is fun, easy, and you get 5 free rentals per week. Perfect summer job for teenagers.

Cons

Unfortunately since Blockbuster isn't doing so well financially, don't expect a lot of growth opportunities, or job stability for that matter.

"Horrible upper Management"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You got free rentals and met some great people. Discounts on stuff for purchase.

Cons

The upper management set unrealistic goals. There is no work/life balance at all. Movies are always late or we have to buy them at a local retail chain. Constantly always told that we are not doing our jobs correctly and we are idiots. No structure and no clear sense of direction for company any longer. Since DISH bought us, they have become very cheap and don't care.

Advice to Management

You all are incompetent idiots that do not listen to their employees for what the business model should be. It's pretty sad when HR tells a Store Manager that this is a horrible company to work for.