Bloomberg L.P. - Great place to start your career but not end it | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"Great place to start your career but not end it"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very young company, beautiful building, reasonable hours, incredible job security, stress free, internal training

Cons

Young and inexperienced managers. Many peoples experience at Bloomberg is driven by their direct manager, and managers have been known to show favorites shamelessly

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Prestigious name on the resume. Work here only for the name and short duration. Stepping stone for higher ground.

Cons

Really hectic culture. They will make you work long hours. Management will give you small projects to work on. Take your commitment on the projects and then throw a lot of bug fixes and maintenance requests in parallel. I have more than 10 years of professional experience out of which most of the experience is non-Bloomberg.

None of the places are as bad as this one. I wouldn't work here.

These people are still using legacy technologies like: Fortran, ProgressDB etc which will make you not marketable. A lot of people I know were brought in giving assurances that you will get opportunity to work on .net environment which rarely happens. They would give you some projects in beginning and bury you in maintenance requests. Management spent 70% of their time in meeting and will expect you to find out what, when, how and why of a problem which you don't know anything about.

They may pay you higher than market but at the end of the day, you will end up billing 10 to 11 hours a day. I would better consult and don't take any benefits.

Advice to Management

Look outside your home. See how SW industry operates to treat their employees.

"Collaborative, innovative, determined, transparent."

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very transparent, flatly managed; lots of opportunity to get involved at intern level
    - Great benefits for interns: professional development programs, intern socials, invitation to company summer picnic, TONS OF FREE FOOD
    - The BBG tower is gorgeous
    - Intern projects often lead to implementation
    - Cannot log more than 40 hours/week outside of FSD and some other departments

Cons

- Some managers are horrible and do not receive adequate training
    - The Bloomberg way of doing things is great, but tough to adapt to once you've left the firm(not all workplaces are the same). The BBG way is also not interpreted equally by everyone, so some people can get quite hostile
    - Good feedback is rare; critical feedback is often poorly received and also very difficult to provide
    - Everyone moves very fast. This can be great, but they often forget that interns are not on the same page. Requires a lot of initiative for an intern to get going quickly.
    - Can't work overtime unless your team requires it or you're in FSD.

Advice to Management

I loved my time at BBG despite having an awful manager and working in a department that did not have any full-time opportunities. Interns should be paired with managers that are adequately prepared to coach and mentor, not b****, gossip, and critique unnecessarily. A very immature and unprofessional manager can damage an impression; it was partly responsible for turning me away from considering full-time opportunities in other departments.