Bloomberg L.P. - Good Company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good Pay
* Opportunity to take ownership of products
* Good benefits and nice building
* Depending on the team there could be some very interesting work
* Good people to work with and lots of opportunities to work with very smart people

Cons

* Old technology
* Can be very stressful
* Steep learning curve

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the developers. Work to move the technology forward and improve programming environment.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"A respected company"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice benefits.
    The open office design at 731 Lexington encourages communication, for many people, intimidates some.
    The Bloomberg terminal is a primary tool of the global financial elite.

Cons

The hours are very long and good work is not always recognized. Responsibilities are not clearly defined for many departments. Communication between departments is erratic. There's a lot of duplicated efforts, reinvention of the wheels.
       The workloads are heavy for almost everyone, from entry-level to upper-management. A downside of this is that managers are often cranky. New employees in some departments are not given enough direction.

Advice to Management

Driving people too hard is counterproductive.
    Say thank you more often. It's free.

"Not a real opportunity, TEMPS BEWARE!"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Skillman, NJ
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Skillman, NJ

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food?...thats all I got.

Cons

I should have been skeptical from the start... I was hired as a temp through Accounting Principals for a "6+ month" temp position with "permanent potential" as an analyst at Bloomberg in Skillman, NJ. It was hardly an interview, the lady went through my resume asked if I was familiar with excel and said the job was mine. I could not believe the process could have been this simple after striking out in interviews for months. So I was wary to say the least.

First day on the job show up and SURPRISE there are 20 other temps starting with me. Yes that's right TWENTY. They take us all to the back corner training room and two young guys do a half-ass job of showing us the Bloomberg Terminal software and "train" us going through income statements, balance sheets and cashflows while familiarizing us with their software. On the first day they even took us to get our temporary ID badges turned into regular ones.

We had off on Friday for good Friday so the first week was only 4 days (planned by Bloomberg I'm sure). Friday afternoon I get a call from Accounting Principals informing me I was let go because "I was not picking it up fast enough."

If I had to guess the majority of the 20 people I started with were let go because I may not have been the best at "picking it up fast enough", but I was far from the worst.

And thats how a "6+ month hire" with "permanent potential" turns into a 4 day job. I was made to believe this was a real opportunity when clearly it was a scam to get as many people there and quickly get the pick of the litter.