Bloomberg L.P. - Analytics, dead-end | Glassdoor

"Analytics, dead-end"

Current Employee - Analytics in New York, NY
Current Employee - Analytics in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great training
- Good use of terminal (for free!)
- Good work/life balance
- Good benefits
- Decent compensation

Cons

- Poor upper management (really poor)
- Immature work environment, lots of "contests", breeds children, not adults
- Above results in no pride in job, and thus very low morale (counterproductive, backfires)
- Quality of hires is very low to prevent "flight-cases" (word used by management)
- Management evaluates not relative to peers, but relative to your own past performance (makes no sense: if you are better than your peers, but you are not as good as you were last year, your compensation will be impacted negatively)
- No room for growth within department, lots of red tape to get promoted
- Tendency to hire externally for jobs that would be better done by internal employees (ie, product managers are all external hires, but that leads to very one-dimensional product enhancements that only serve what that person wanted in their past role, they do this instead of letting sales/analytics into the role despite the interaction those departments have with clients of a broad spectrum on a daily basis)
- Another reviewer put this best: There are a lot of parasites that have been grandfathered in. They have been in the company during it's largest growth periods and have very minor skillsets. They just rotate every 2 years into high paying fluff roles that don't add much value. For example, we have a "training content management team" that consists of 10+ year veterans. All they do is book rooms for trainings and schedule them. There are at least 4 per region.
- Inefficient use of funds: We splurge on very odd things such as people walking around on the 6th floor with trays to hand out snacks (essentially servants). We also book all of our re

This was a bit detailed.

Advice to Management

You should take a more granular look at your individual departments. Instead of relying on regional managers, try skipping a level and shadowing your workforce. You would be surprised at some of the talent that exists under your nose. This talent is going to waste on trivial tasks. The turnover of our department's most talented employees is phenomenal, and they all find good jobs. This has been a recurring issue for as long as I've worked here.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

1. "Great Internship Process (Full-timers jealous of how well the interns were treated)"

Former Intern - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Financial Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for the BDE (Basic Development Environment) team, and thus understand that my experience is not completely the norm. My team was composed of mostly subject matter experts from the C++ Standards community, John Lakos (whose has more degrees than Sheldon Copper), Alisdar Merrideth (the lead of the C++ Standards Committee library team), etc.
    They were all very personable, and very knowledgeable.
    I was given a real project which I owned completely, and was made to feel like I was a real member of the team, not just the intern.
    I also was given carte blanche to work as many hours as I desired (as an intern I was paid hourly) so that was really great as well.
    The HR/Campus recruiting doing a great job setting up events and making a really great internship experience. In fact they still take me out to dinner each time they come into town.

Cons

Working for John's team means a lot of time is spent on tasks that are not necessarily programming. I.E writing documentation, and all of the sections of a BDE component that are really comments (at least from a programmer standpoint).
    You get used to it, and once you learn what is expected from these sections, it is supposed to be < 30% of your time. However, for a ten week internship, by the time I got the hang of it, my time was over.
    Another point is that you test your own code (again this is true for my team, not for many others). This is not necessarily a negative, but it again is work that some Software Engineers would prefer not be a part of their duties.

2. "Blind leading the blind"

Former Employee - News in New York, NY
    Former Employee - News in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Car service for off-hour shifts. Impressive building. Free snacks. Salary higher than industry average.

Cons

Pretentious staffers who know very little about actual news, but have an Ivy League education so they're given positions they'd have to work years for anywhere else. Little to no value placed on journalism ethics. The company is full of "lifers" who are there for the retirement and salary package and don't care about innovation or striving to do better. The general atmosphere is very serious, despite the fact that the television division doesn't even have enough viewers to warrant a Nielsen rating.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box. Reward original thoughts and actual experience in TV instead of solely going on number of years on the job or a Princeton degree.