Bloomberg L.P. - Great Perks, Amazing Office, Culturally Repressive | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"Great Perks, Amazing Office, Culturally Repressive"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably one of the greatest offices in all of New York.

Free food / snacks / drinks.

Bloomberg is a great place to get introduced to the finance sector, a great place to stay or a great leg up into other big financial names.

Bloomberg University gives great classes on a wide range of subjects.

Bloomberg hires the best they possibly can, and are willing to pay to get the best

Cons

Alot of people get siloed into doing one thing, very easy to get pigeon-holed. They try to hire big industry names, and then pay them to do work that is relatively non-interesting so they don't stick around. Very easy to get lost in the organization.

Terminal sales aint what they used to be, they are working to fix this but your bonus will probably not beat expectations.

Clocking into and out of work, cameras everywhere, and open floorplan lead to paranoid workers watching eachother for transgressions. Very strange environment socially.

Advice to Management

Update some of the odd rules that maybe made sense when this was a 50 person company, get outside help for this.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"A great place to build your skills – if you ever get out of the meetings."

Former Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fabulous office space and free food get a lot of press, but the best part of working at Bloomberg LP is your coworkers. With very few exceptions, BBG makes a practice of hiring some of the smartest, most ambitious, and most capable people in the job market. This isn't a teaching hospital – if you're there, you're there because BBG thinks that you're more than capable of taking charge of your area and crushing it with little direction from higher-ups. That implied trust in your professionalism and capability means a lot.

Cons

Hesitating to call work-life balance a joke at Bloomberg, but only because it's not funny how terrible it is. Of the four weeks of vacation you're given, expect to take about half of that, if you're lucky – and if you don't answer e-mails while you're gone, be prepared to hear about it when you get back. Every action at this company – in the News division, those are few and far between – is preceded by approximately 50 meetings wherein the same talking points are hashed out by the same people without any results.

In the News division, expect to make 50-60 percent what you would at a competing venture for twice the work. For lower level positions in particular, the attrition rate is astonishingly high – I was the fourth person to hold my position and leave after less than a year. Like my three predecessors, I burned out from the unreasonably workload – we're talking sleeping at desks – combined with an outrageously undermarket salary.

Advice to Management

I'll quote what my HR representative said to me in my exit interview: Sell your fishtanks and pay your employees what the market would pay them.

"good experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good teammates; not being micromanaged.

Cons

losing startup mentality as the company grows into a huge multinational. too much complacency with single product. Lack business visionaries at the top level.