Bloomberg L.P. - Worst Mistake of my Career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

"Worst Mistake of my Career"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, prestige, it's a "nice" place to work. You get free snacks and coffee.

Cons

Endless streams of soul-destroyingly tedious work. Work that could easily be automated if the proprietary systems you'll have to rely on didn't... I guess the only way to say it is completely suck. Almost nothing you'll learn will apply in any other environment. The platforms and practices are so eclectic to Bloomberg that if you try and take them anywhere else, you're not going to know what you're doing.

Things like career development, ideas like advancement simply don't exist there. You will be dumped into a massive pool of coders and basically just bang away at a keyboard until one day, you die. I weep for the torrents of inbound kids, fresh from school, looking to start a career and what they have in store for them.

Bloomberg, the world is bigger than you. There are ways of doing things so foreign, so superior to yours that surely they appear to be some form of dark magic, and I understand your fear but if you push through it a little bit, you might be capable of amazing things.

I quit, good luck.

Advice to Management

There is no management.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

1. "the best and most organized company i've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

extremely efficient, brilliant programmers, smart business model to have everything revolve around the terminal

Cons

too many acquisitions recently are diluting the quirky company culture and focus on the terminal

Advice to Management

listen to mike now that he's back! dan is too much of a politician

"It is what you make of it"

Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the right frame of mind, you can develop a lot of freedom in what you can choose to work on.
    Over the years I developed a reputation as a goto problem solver, and the result was that I could choose what projects I wanted to work on and how much of my time I spent on each project.

Cons

The development environment for programmers is, ironically, almost hostile. Much less hostile than it was 10 years ago. This can be a challenge for some people to overcome and definitely was the source of a lot of frustration for me.

Advice to Management

Trust your people more. The firm-wide position seems to be that employees are not trustworthy. In reality, 99% of them are, and we resent the presumption of management that we are not.