Bloomingdale's - Find a good manager, they do exist! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

"Find a good manager, they do exist!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of in store events, appearances, co-worker sales, and overall good feeling. Employee appreciation. Union.

Cons

A bad manager will destroy that good feeling above. My manager went wrong by playing favorites, being too lenient with reps who violate company policies and procedures but produce numbers. It is possible to advance there but MY manager was not good at this. The benefits suck and are expensive!

Advice to Management

Crack down on favoritism, and just because someone has been there 20yrs doesnt mean they get to make their own rules, that only they can follow.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's

"Like no other store in the world-literally in all ways good and bad"

Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are highly self motivated and tenacious it is a great place to work. It is also a good way to make money for students. Employee discount is very generous and if you find the right team to work with it can be a good experience. If you want to get into the fashion or retail business it can be a great stepping stone since there are many networking opportunities for full-time employees who have close contact with vendors. Also for hourly employees in the 59th street flagship the union is fairly powerful and a good safety net.

If you are gay or lesbian its a very gay friendly environment so there is no fear of being out.

Cons

Some of the management are hyper micro-mangers (bordering on harassment). As a salesman I was constantly harassed to open credit accounts. I was one of the top salespeople and still did not get a lot of respect from some upper management. I had one particularly bad manager who I should have reported for harassment. Also the commission is pretty good, but it would have been better to get a straight commission rather than be pressured in the draw vs commission system. I don't think it's worth the effort put into the job. At my peak (pre-recession) I had somewhat regular clients and my yearly sales were about $800k and my salary was around $40,000. I was always exhausted from working on my feet. Somehow I wish they would discontinue the commission and just pay everyone a fair wage with some selling incentives. Maybe once you reach a certain number of sales your salary reaches a certain level.

Also, I do think they return policy is way to generous and some customers abuse it profusely. It wastes the time of sales associates who have to process huge returns instead of selling.

Often it seemed like the management liked to hire very inexperienced assistant managers who are not necessarily team players. Additionally, there is a high turnover among managers. So once I had a really good manager they would quickly be promoted and the bad ones would just be strung along.

Advice to Management

Please rethink the management strategy and also change the return policy. The return policy is hurting the upscale image of the store.

"retail sales-short hills,new jersey"

Current Employee - Retail Support Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Support Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very easy interview just talked about my resume, was asked why I wanted to work here.
    was offred the job. at 15.00 per hour,but it is based on a draw of your commission.
    Commission is 7%

Cons

you dont get a hourly rate