Bloomingdale's - not enough room for growth, or vacation personal days | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomingdale's

"not enough room for growth, or vacation personal days"

Current Employee - Visual Stylist in New York, NY
Current Employee - Visual Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun store to work within.

Cons

Too many opinions in visual.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team.

Other Employee Reviews for Bloomingdale's

"Low pay, awful managers, but a great place to learn everything you can for a year then leave"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

There are some major retail perks like company sample sales, summer Fridays, unlimited sick days, etc. Also, I had the chance to work with some AMAZING entry-level and mid-level people, who were very smart and I learned a lot from and made some great friends The reason there is so much camaraderie among younger execs is because everyone is pretty miserable in their roles.

Cons

Most managers, and upper-level execs are awful to work with and work for. HR is a total joke. Managers will take advantage of their direct reports by making them work all hours, talking down to them, and undermining them in front of upper management (very Devil Wears Prada style). The company still works like a 1960s department store, slow systems, power-drunk executives, no interest/investment in new ideas (e.g. Social Media).

It doesn't help that they make executives work in the stores during the holidays (in addition to their usual 50-60 hour work weeks), the company holiday party was in the conference room, employee pay is completely arbitrary (I know 3 people in the same position w/ the same experience and there was a $15K difference in their salaries), and the annual increases are minuscule.

Advice to Management

There are some very bright people with great ideas in the entry-level and lower management positions, they should be allowed to grow within the company (i.e. moving from stores to bloomingdales.com or vice versa) and present new ideas. This will probably help your turnover of about 80-90% per year in the areas outside of buying.

"Like no other store in the world-literally in all ways good and bad"

Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Commission Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are highly self motivated and tenacious it is a great place to work. It is also a good way to make money for students. Employee discount is very generous and if you find the right team to work with it can be a good experience. If you want to get into the fashion or retail business it can be a great stepping stone since there are many networking opportunities for full-time employees who have close contact with vendors. Also for hourly employees in the 59th street flagship the union is fairly powerful and a good safety net.

If you are gay or lesbian its a very gay friendly environment so there is no fear of being out.

Cons

Some of the management are hyper micro-mangers (bordering on harassment). As a salesman I was constantly harassed to open credit accounts. I was one of the top salespeople and still did not get a lot of respect from some upper management. I had one particularly bad manager who I should have reported for harassment. Also the commission is pretty good, but it would have been better to get a straight commission rather than be pressured in the draw vs commission system. I don't think it's worth the effort put into the job. At my peak (pre-recession) I had somewhat regular clients and my yearly sales were about $800k and my salary was around $40,000. I was always exhausted from working on my feet. Somehow I wish they would discontinue the commission and just pay everyone a fair wage with some selling incentives. Maybe once you reach a certain number of sales your salary reaches a certain level.

Also, I do think they return policy is way to generous and some customers abuse it profusely. It wastes the time of sales associates who have to process huge returns instead of selling.

Often it seemed like the management liked to hire very inexperienced assistant managers who are not necessarily team players. Additionally, there is a high turnover among managers. So once I had a really good manager they would quickly be promoted and the bad ones would just be strung along.

Advice to Management

Please rethink the management strategy and also change the return policy. The return policy is hurting the upscale image of the store.