Blue Apron - Institutionalized racism and high turnover | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Apron

"Institutionalized racism and high turnover"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Richmond, CA
Current Employee - Team Lead in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management are offered handsome salaries and perks and a private office with keycard entry. Growth potential within management is likely with a rapidly growing company combined with a high turnover rate. A thriving start-up with seemingly limitless cash flow, and young leaders.

Cons

-Churn and burn outlook with both lower management and hourly employees - revolving door policy of hiring hourly associates for unskilled labor jobs
-High turnover of management rate likely due to unrealistic production goals, hostile attitudes and behavioral issues of many associates, and a lack of formal job descriptions
-Extreme cold temperatures
-Strict dress code
-Ambiguous guidance from HR and upper management
-Currently operating without a GM or AGM
-Constant security camera supervision
-Employees frequently complain of food poisoning related symptoms from the food served, likely due to improper food handling and holding temperatures
-Factory is located in a bad neighborhood, with train tracks occasionally blocking access to facilities
-Incredible amounts of food and packaging waste, with zero attempts at conventional recycling or efforts to donate to local charities
-Racial issues abound with a predominantly white management staff

Advice to Management

Provide ALL employees with SafeServ certification and USDA guidelines training, as unsafe food practices are witnessed regularly. Spend less on catering and serve the excess food wasted by means of a commissary kitchen. Automate more processes and have less employees to police. Hire senior level executives with experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Apron

"Fast Paced, great opportunity"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Blue Apron full-time

Pros

Great place to work, colleagues are super smart people who are passionate about what they do. Lots of opportunities to get involved in many interesting, high impact projects and grow with the company!

Cons

Growing fast! You have to keep up with the pace!

Blue Apron Response

Jun 26, 2015 – Human Resources

Thanks for your review! We love to hear that you enjoy working here, and feel your impact and growth right along with the Blue Apron. We definitely agree that everyone working here is smart and... More

"Great hours with too much drama"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The hours are the best. I work 5:30am-2:00pm. Time goes by fast and I'm able to do my errands after work instead on waiting till the weekend to do it.

Cons

Its a mess with the majority of the associates that should have been fired. Girls wearing nails, nail polish, fake lashes, eating food and bring drinks inside. None of this is allowed and no one is doing anything about it. On top of that a girl associate that use to work in grocery starting yelling at a supervisor and only got suspended for 2 days. This same person is having relations with the supervisor and she still has a job. Drama does not belong at this work place and its happening with no one stopping it.

Advice to Management

Be more stick when it comes to the rules and regulations of the company. People are not owning up to their mistakes and they don't care. I wish someone would put their foot down. Rules and regulations are meant to be use in a company for a reason. I honestly hope someone reads this so management knows. I constantly say something and nothing has change.