Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota - Great learning experience! | Glassdoor

"Great learning experience!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Eagan, MN
Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, freedom to create projects, amazing mentor, a lot of intern functions, leadership visibility, true and meaningful work, appreciated as a coworker and not as "just another intern"

Cons

very tradition company, lots of resistance to change

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

"Poor Customer Service morale"

Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance, wellness benefits, nice campus, clean buildings. My coworkers were the only thing that kept me at the company for so long. Outside of service the morale seemed to be much higher and people seemed to enjoy their jobs. Service is always a little bit less fun (more rules for phone coverage etc) but people moped openly about going to their desk.

Cons

We were expected to maintain perfect audits on phone calls, impossible wrap up times while documenting exceptionally detailed conversations and you are micro managed to death. There is someone constantly breathing down your neck, weekly meetings with your supervisor about how you're failing (they do not praise) to meet company standards and constant guilt trips if you miss a single day due to illness. There is a very high turn around and everyone is miserable. The people who have been there longest are the main issues and we had to constantly clean up after they'd messed an account up. Its a very high stress environment and a lot of information to remember and remember 100% accurately. Constant changes in healthcare rulings and poor planning on BCBS's part created a lag in information and often came back to bite you in the butt as you were the one to take the call. I was very good at my job and never had issues and it was still very stressful- for the pay they were giving I should have been making double. I never received a raise in the years I was there and they did not appear to want to offer one. It was very difficult to post out into a new job or receive any sort of PTO as it had to be approved by people who seemed very biased.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, listen to your employees and praise them for their efforts. Most of them are keeping the department afloat for you.

2. "Company lives by their mission "We make a healthy difference in people's lives""

Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal growth opportunitites are amazing - you are in charge of your career and BCBSMN supports life-long learning. The Blue U (University) offers many free trainings.

Cons

There are five buildings in Eagan and it bites to go to meetings in those other buildings (especially in the winter) and lose your parking space.

Advice to Management

Love the transparency of the Strategic Plan and how visible everyone's goals are and how they fit into the plan. Makes us feel like our job has an impact in the organization