Blue Orange Games - It's an okay job to get a glimpse of a board game company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Orange Games

"It's an okay job to get a glimpse of a board game company"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Blue Orange Games as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team
Game testing
Free games
Playing with toy stores and board game groups like Meetup

Cons

Not much mentoring
Slow to take advantage of technology
Miscommunication

Advice to Management

Confusion with what was expected and what was wanted of me. Sometimes it felt like working with people who still aren't sure how to do things the right way. Feels like management makes guesses a big part of decisions or have an opinion without back up. I'm kinda glad I got to experience a little with them. But it was better that I moved on.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Orange Games

"A Gap Filler Only"

Pros

Few of the coworkers
    Free food on Fridays
    Games for kids

Cons

Owners
    Kindergarten rules
    Ignorance
    Sad benefits
    Unoriginal games - "borrowed"

Advice to Management

Realize there are smart people working at your company. Just because they do a job you tell them to do does not mean that they are only capable of that duty. There's a girl in CSR who has excellent memory, a vast knowledge in science, and is an artist - do they use her? Nope. Another has a way with words and has excellent marketing ideas even though she is in customer service as well. Another has excellent people skills.

If you're not French & male or somebody's wife - forget about job satisfaction. Stop with the ridiculous, "corporatized" work rules to make you feel like a leader. We're not children. Here's something: be the kind of leader people want to follow voluntarily. Smart people get bored quick. Find out about their skills and desires, then capitalize on them.

Credit was not given where it was due, perhaps because middle management said nothing of the accomplishments of the individual who kicked off a few projects that are now used there, including educating the superior on simple concepts they should know about!

Management is subpar. Decisions feel like they are made on feeling - so called 'strategies' felt painfully arbitrary.

2. "Fun in concept"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Blue Orange Games as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool company making unusual board games. They had a very relaxed atmosphere, and everyone seemed very passionate about what they did.

Cons

It got a little bit clique-like. People didn't really interact with people they weren't directly working with. Also the office was very dark, and a bit depressing.

Advice to Management

The company is based in Europe, and I think a lot of the issues people had were related to the differences between European work styles and American work styles. My advice is to try to understand those better.