Blue Shield Of California - Stagnant, old school, secure place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

"Stagnant, old school, secure place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in El Dorado Hills, CA
Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in El Dorado Hills, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Blue Shield has good benefits. The campus is well equipped with a healthy cafe and an onsite workout center. The health benefits are better than standard. Tuition assitance is helpful and pension and 401K are great.

Cons

The company overall is very stuck in the past. Measures are being taken to shift the company culture but it is moving slowly. Growth potential is limited and difficult. The departments are siloed and people step on each other. A lot of duplicate work because of a lack of communication. Company needs to become more united and collaborative.

Advice to Management

Update your philosophies. Value your current employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Shield Of California

"It was a strange place to be stuck in a rapidly changing world."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Blue Shield's offices could not be more BART-easy, and if your manager likes you, work-from-home opportunities are plentiful. Also, if you're good at what you do and you like doing it, you'll find lots of chances to dig in here. I learned a lot at BSC and really sharpened my skills: I was using them often, with many different groups.

Cons

There is a definite high-school vibe to Blue Shield of California. While the rest of its technology lags, the gossip network is thriving. Managers play favorites, as do work groups within teams. If you fall out of favor, you will never know why -- or hear about changes in your area until it's too late.

In general, Blue Shield moves very, very slowly, with a kind of deliberate reluctance. My interview process took three months. Once I started working there, I found so much resistance to any kind of change that it became obvious that only a fool would try. I made it to almost two years of playing the fool before I had to leave.

Advice to Management

I know there is nothing anyone can say that will make you change. Good luck in 2014.

2. "Learning Exeperience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado Hills, CA

Pros

Great people. Oppurtunities in all areas

Cons

Senior management
    Not staffed appropriately for number of people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people