Blue Shield Of California - The EDH Customer Service department has been going downhill for the last year, since a change in management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Blue Shield Of California

"The EDH Customer Service department has been going downhill for the last year, since a change in management."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in El Dorado Hills, CA
Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in El Dorado Hills, CA

I worked at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for the position, benefits are acceptable, and most of my peers were ok to work with. As long as you were in good with the manager, life was easy. Policies change very quickly, so you are required to adapt easily.

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant here. Everyone is not required to pull the same weight. In the last 6 months, a number of senior management has been let go, but the supervisor are still not allowed to performance manage as strictly as is needed.

Other Employee Reviews for Blue Shield Of California

1. "Average"

Current Intern - Actuarial Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Actuarial Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really laid back
    Really good work life balance
    People are willing to help if you reach out

Cons

Because there are not hard deadlines in my department, process can be slow sometimes

Advice to Management

More check-ins

"'wanna-be' industry leader losing good employees every day"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Blue Shield Of California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you get a great boss and a great team, you're golden.
    - Good pay and decent benefits.
    - Flexible work hours depending on your management.

Cons

- Contrary to their public stance, Blue Shield is not a leader in the industry. Extremely hierarchical culture and outdated infrastructure are huge roadblocks. If you want to be on the cutting edge, think twice about joining this company.
    - Contrary to stated values which were recently created, the truth is we are the opposite of trusting, valuing people, results-oriented, interconnected, agile, creative, and customer centric. More often than not, management talks the talk, doesn’t walk the walk.
    - A year of reorganization all over the company has left employees with extremely low morale. Every day talented employees who used to love the company are walking out the door.
    - Unless you’re a director or above, your voice and opinion tends to not matter due to the hierarchical culture.

Advice to Management

- Practice the values you claim to adhere to - value your employees, trust us, let us be agile and creative. Employees aren't stupid. We know when you're talking out of one side of your mouth, but doing the opposite.