BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina - You'll work hard for the money | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

"You'll work hard for the money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, strong belief on promoting from within, solid training programs, big on community involvement, on-site amenities include fitness centers, cafeterias, and Starbucks, very stable company.

Cons

Some areas use front-line management as senior-level staff rather than letting them manage, most areas pay below market rates, too many paper-driven processes considering the company's technological expertise.

Advice to Management

Let your front-line managers be managers, and devote resources to automating the paper processes.

Other Employee Reviews for BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina

"Seemed like great opportunity...at the time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking. Gym in building. In my area, nice people. Love what I do.

Cons

No true chance for promotion. Hired with the promise that, with my MBA, a management position would be forthcoming. Not, so. Might get a minor bump in title, perhaps a 5% raise, but all of the management workload!

Advice to Management

I'm hunting for a job. You are losing a dedicated employee who would have stayed for many years, but you won't pay me what I'm worth, so I'll find someone who will. Your losing a lot of great people because you won't modify you HR policies.

"Its okay"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, SC

Pros

All people talk about is if you are a full time employee you have a lot of job security. Contractors get let go, occasionally, but full time employees seem to be okay. The health insurance is great and relatively inexpensive.

Cons

That also leads to a disadvantage where a lot of your coworkers do not carry their own weight or even care. They know there job is secure and are just coasting. This also hinders your opportunities for advancement because there are other people in higher roles whose work you are doing but who you can not replace. Also their is a lot of bureaucratic red tape that hinders your advancement. The pay is on the lower end of the scale as well.

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to let people go.