Bob Evans - Not the company it used to be, but there's still time to right the ship. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bob Evans

"Not the company it used to be, but there's still time to right the ship."

Current Employee - General Manager in Canton, OH
Current Employee - General Manager in Canton, OH

I have been working at Bob Evans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of dedicated and loyal people at the restaurant and area levels. It's a demanding job, but it will pay the (modest) bills. And the food is high quality.

Cons

Steve Davis' fast food mentality has resulted in stagnation, unrealistic performance expectations, and gradual elimination of outings, bonuses, and benefits. Managers are underpaid by industry standards, yet executives wants managers' salaries cut further - which is only possible if experienced, higher-salaried managers leave the company. The various corporate office support departments have become revolving doors too.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing coupons; they discount the brand's value (and fail to bring in new customers). Increase revenue and profit by opening new restaurants, and give your long-term General Managers a chance at promotion.

Other Employee Reviews for Bob Evans

"Great company if you can quickly advance to GM or higher, other than that your underpaid"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Findlay, OH

I worked at Bob Evans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, willingness to teach you new things,

Cons

long hours - scheduled 50 work 50-65 a week, raises are minimal just enough to say they are giving you one, bonuses - don't even count on it my last was $100 and my GM's taxes of their bonus was 4 digits. bonus is divided amoungst all store managers 6% AM (2 of them) 26% AGM and 62% GM

Advice to Management

if you want to decrease turnover let your employees have a work life balance. consider a 5 man team with 40 hr work wks like normal people have.

2. "What the hell happened here?"

Current Employee - Server in Central, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Central, CA

I have been working at Bob Evans part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Low turnover, so you actually get a chance to make lasting friends and get to know people. Also flexible hours.

Cons

Mimis Cafe is not Mimis Cafe anymore. It is Bob Evans, who are quickly turning it into a glorified Dennys. I have worked there long enough to remember when we had great jazz music playing, and fresh flowers on the table every morning. We had fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice and we employees were promised no coupons EVER. Now every other table we wait on has a coupon for a free meal. There is no fresh juice and no fresh flowers. Our music is the exact same as every other chain restaurant now. We stand out in no way. Our clientele are reflecting our new low standards.... we used to market ourselves as upscale family dining..American comfort food with a french twist.I don't know who we are anymore. It is no longer pleasurable to come to work. Management is out of touch. No one cares about the line. It's messy, disorganized and food is left to get cold and stale and often has to be re-made. The cooks and servers are at eachohers throats. I hear circus music in the background and see a bunch of clowns running around most weekends. It's sad. Where is manangement? What is our vision and the direction of this company for the future? No where but down from where I'm standing. Maybe management should stop worrying about how many grains of salt are in the salt shakers and start worrying about what matters. Customer service and quality food. Give your staff what we need to make it a great experience again...enough plates, food that is on the menu served fresh and hot, clean coffee cups and suffiient staff. Come on management!

Advice to Management

When an employee is thirsty let them drink water when they find the time. When they do something good give em a pat on the back. Praise publicly, criticize privately. Back up your employees. Treat people with dignity and respect and recieve it in return. LISTEN.