Bob Jones University - Great place to earn money relatively conveniently while studying at the university. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bob Jones University

"Great place to earn money relatively conveniently while studying at the university."

Current Employee - Custodial Worker in Greenville, SC
Current Employee - Custodial Worker in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Bob Jones University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was given opportunity to expand my work experience and management skills.

Cons

The faster and harder you work, generally, the less you are paid per hour of work.

Advice to Management

Increase pay of more valuable workers

Other Employee Reviews for Bob Jones University

"Recommend overall but not for everyone."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Pros

It is a very good work environment. While this varies by department, I have excellent coworkers who are very easy to work with. Management is very good about expressing appreciation for work well done. In particular area, I have a lot of freedom to take initiative in projects that I think are worthwhile. Given justification/business cases, management is good about getting on board. While my job is not specifically education related, if you believe in the school's mission overall it can be more satisfying to work at BJU than elsewhere. Benefits as well as vacation time are good to above average.

Cons

There are some rather rigid requirements that infringe on personal freedoms (dress, movies, etc.). However, some of the dress standards did loosen up (although the main point is that there are still requirements imposed when not on the clock).

Name recognition can be the double-edged sword of working at BJU -- most people know of the school and many have definite opinions about (see John McCain for instance).

Some departments/supervisors are stuck back in 70's authoritarian management styles -- fortunately this isn't the majority in my experience.

You do also have to be careful not to get cynical while working in a Christian environment -- people are still people and while there's no smoking/cursing/yelling, there are still imperfections.

Advice to Management

Need to loosen up on what requirements are placed on employees when not on the job.

2. "BJU"

Pros

Wonderful people, great ministry, exceptional benefits

Cons

the salary is not terrific

Advice to Management

Keep seeking to honor Christ