Body Central - its eh | Glassdoor

"its eh"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

fun, good discount, flexible hours

Cons

inability to get shifts covered or time off
awful pay
no comission
long hours mandatory weekends

Advice to Management

promote from within, promote the best candidates not those with most seniority

Other Employee Reviews for Body Central

1. "Fun turned stressful."

Former Employee - Co Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Cheap clothes with a 40% discount. Easy to get promoted always looking to promote from within the company. After 1 year management gets 1 week holiday and 1 week vacation time off.

Cons

You have to be 18 to work here. Extremely hard to hire due to the orion survey no one can seem to score high enough on and the people who do only last about 2 months. Extremely high turnover rate. No help from D.M. or R.M. with staffing problems, only complaints about us being under staffed. External theft problems. Most bonuses are for the Store Manager leaving the Co Manager and Assistant Managers with nothing. To much work and not enough time to get the work done.
    To many unnecessary task.

"Possibly a good stepping stone."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Independence, MO

Pros

Body Central has its pros and cons like any other retail job. My co-manager does an absolutely wonderful job and I have nothing but kind words to say about her. She listens and seems to respect all her associates. She's especially generous with any time-off requests made as well. So there's a plus automatically!

I will admit our store discount is probably better than most places. We receive 40% off everything in the store, not including clearance. So if you have a shopping problem, then don't work here!

Cons

My first gripe about BC was the pay--minimum wage! On top of that, we are paid bi-weekly Mondays and have no direct deposit system either. In this day and age, this process has become known as a "hassle" in which one must still have to make a "work-appearance" on a day off.

We must also sell 100$ worth of merchandise for every hour we are working. 6 hours x 100 = $600 for your daily goal. In comparison, we are second to Buckle for customer service. So be prepared to annoy customers in some capacity. OH! And by the way, you get no commission off your sales!

BUT my absolute biggest pet peeve of BC is their applicant selections. We are a new store and opened early March and still have all our original employees (no fires or quits yet!). Basically, we have no store manager yet, and only a co-manager & assistant manager. A fellow associate who has never done half of the stuff anyone who would want to move up would do (such as the dreaded inventory!), is in talks of being promoted to an assistant manager after just a month of our store opening. This has lead the entire staff confused as to their selection and why since they constantly brag about "promotion from within" when no one even knew a position opened up. Miscommunication seems to be a big problem within the store.

On a side note, if you do not partake in store gossip--don't expect to have any friends! You will not be fully socially accepted in the workplace unless you are dissing a co-worker.

Advice to Management

Before making the decision to promote an associate to assistant (especially without even being promoted to senior associate first), more consideration needs to be given to others who have a company interest in the long run and who invest more of their time in work. The environment seems to be unfair.