Boeing - Not that bad | Glassdoor

"Not that bad"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Ridley Park, PA
Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Ridley Park, PA

Pros

There are many resources at the disposal of the engineer to properly execute his or her job functions. While it might be a little tedious in terms of making sure the paperwork is properly in order when making a design change, this is the case with all federal suppliers. It really isn't a drawback specifically against Boeing. Interoffice politics seems to be on the normal side for a company of this size. And of course, the main reason people decide on working at a large company like Boeing is the opportunities for training, education, and career advancement, which Boeing takes care of.

Cons

Sometimes projects drag on and lack enthusiasm

Advice to Management

Do a better job of motivating your workers... look at GM.. they went from making ho hum cars to making rather exciting machines that capture the enthusiasm of their customers... all this from the same engineers -- just a strategic change in corporate philosophy.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

"Lost in Corporate Office Space"

Former Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Structural Design Engineer in Seattle, WA

Pros

The experience - they usually use the latest in software and manufacturing tools.
    There are usually excellent training resources available, even funded.
    The mostly cubicle office spaces, facilities and cafeteria are usually clean and decent.
    One can visit the major assembly and flightline areas without too much trouble to observe aircraft being built.
    There are some good folks in senior or knowledge positions, but you may have to discover who they are for yourself.
    I made some good friends there - most of my coworkers were pretty decent folks.

Cons

Typical large company politics, cronyism and nepotism.
    Corporate guidelines for ethical conduct appear to exist for legal reasons only - you're pretty much at the mercy of your supervisor. Sometimes you get lucky, but if you're not, you may have no choice but to quit.
    When I was there I saw some peers to do virtually nothing yet maintain their job or even advance while honest worker bees got meaningless trinkets and toys for their efforts.
    It was often a training ground for junior level employees who'd quit once they had enough experience to go elsewhere.
    One could be transferred to locations, distant commutes from their residence without consideration.
    You might wind up training your replacement - in Russia.

Advice to Management

1. Supply chain bean counters are not gods. I worked on a project where the architectual wizard / manager assembled a team which reduced costs, automated production, and greatly improved accuracy. After he retired that project was scrapped and the subassemblies outsourced overseas. Last I heard, things were so screwed up by these vendors they had to bring everything back.
    2. If enough people are quitting a particular supervisor you might want to look into it. A supervisor I had was quite likely a machiavellian/psychopath. It's not much fun to work for somebody who steals ideas then takes full credit, runs a sweatshop, bullies expendible underlings into doing risky dirtywork, only gives raises to henchmen, and fires employees on a whim, while they're rarely ever in the office doing actual work themselves.
    3. If you're an upper level manager who gives out an award to some grunt who's been 'going the extra mile', at least try to remember their face the next time you see them. Remembering their name would be a bonus.
    4. I had 4 managers during my time there. Two were pretty good - professionally and personally. One was a worthless absentee boss who may have had some kind of mental disorder, possibly senility, which might have been tolerable if he didn't have a moody mean streak. The fourth was the nightmare I was forced to escape from (described in #2 above). Overall, based on other places I'd worked, I'd say par for the course (except for what's described in #2 above).
    5. World class may describe the product, but the work environment was typical large corporate. But why would any senior manager who's jumped the hoops ever want to change that?

"Good company"

Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer I in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Structural Design Engineer I in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Lots of opportunities , as long as you have the motivation . they do have lots of commercial projects to work on , so you can have your pick from 737 , 747, or the new 787 to work on . If you have a broad experience about aircrafts you will right in , since they also deal with old Mc donnell douglas airplanes . the area around long beach airport is nice to work in , and you can' t beat the weather here in southern california . the beach is close by , and utilities are inexpenssive compared to other states .

Cons

Too big of a company

Advice to Management

Give the right job to the right person