Boeing - lots of opportunities | Glassdoor

"lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Product Manager in Renton, WA
Current Employee - Software Product Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Boeing has a fire department, a security force, artists, lawyers, and just about any profession you want to pursue. In fact, Ralph McQuarry, the artist behind darth vadar and other star wars imagery started as a technical illustrator at Boeing (not that I'd recommend Boeing as the normal career path to Hollywood screen artist). Lots of different opportunities, most especially if you are an engineer that likes airplanes or spaceships. Generally pretty good to the people. I've spent 23 yrs as an engineer at Boeing and had opportunities to travel the world (business class!) supporting our airline customers. I've been to China, Africa, Europe multiple times, staying in 5 star hotels. Compensation is good.

Cons

I've been at Boeing since college so it's my only employer experience as a "professional." I suspect most big companies have similar problems...a few dilbert-esque managers, cubical-ville, big crowded parking lots with long walks to the office, dumb mandatory online "training" classes resulting from lawsuits or other corporate mistakes that don't enrich the employee as much as they provide legal cover for future lawsuits. A huge process driven bureaucracy that frequently stifles or slows innovation.

Advice to Management

I am a closet entrepreneur and love business. While I value my engineering degree I think if I had it to do over again I'd probably get a business degree first. NPV, ROI, Customer Value, sales...I love it. That said, I do feel like we've lost our engineering edge and passion in favor of the MBA-approach to decision making. I don't sense the same sheer love for airplanes that drove us in the early days.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Management Specialist in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management Specialist in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedule,

Cons

The company is too top heavy management

2. "BR&T performs leading research efforts to support commercial & defense businesses."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job security, prestige, interesting projects, decent salaries.

Cons

Beaurocracy associated with large government contractors. Not a quick moving company. Direction is muddled through layers of mgmt that cannot make a decision.

Advice to Management

Connect all employees to a vision they can truly play a part in, that relevantly relates to their work. Promote better engagement of employees, and be more responsive to their ideas.