Boeing - A wide range of opportunities. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

"A wide range of opportunities."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer III in Huntington Beach, CA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer III in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A wide variety of work experiences and exposure to technology. Excellent support for continuing education outside of the company..

Cons

The adherence to the Lead Systems Integrator (LSI) business model severely limits opportunities for growing skills and experience

Advice to Management

The LSI model of company management will not work in this austere economic environment. There must be a return to the reliance of developing technologies in house.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

1. "Big company, hard to make changes"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company benefits. You get to work directly with airplanes

Cons

You will be asked to do the same thing over and over

Advice to Management

Start assessing people for what they value doing, instead of just what they are capable of doing.

"Couldn't get out of there fast enough"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at Boeing full-time

Pros

They pay a lot to do very little. I guess if you have no ambitions in life other than to show up to work and browse the web, this should be a great job for you. Otherwise, good job to put on your resume after working there for a couple of years, but don't get caught there for longer than that.

Cons

So many things. First, there's the hours: 6 am. What else do I need to say. And, oh yeah, be prepared to work a bunch of weekends in row. No kidding. Boeing pays lots of overtime on weekends, so the factory workers will make sure to slack off all week so they have to work on the weekend. And guess who has to be there too? Yeah. You. Second, the people. My goodness the people. Everyone is really old and has been at the company for the past 30 years, so be prepared for some turn of the century methodologies. You will learn nothing at this place. Don't even think about this company if your intention is to advance your intellect. Third, the people. Did I mention the people? You will have the pleasure to be bossed around by the floor managers who usually have nothing more than a HS degree (although for some that might be doubtful), can't really do simple math (they will be hugely impressed when you show them the addition function in excel), and like to manage through loud yells and grunts (usually directed at IE). They won't be your managers, but they're the ones you'll be dealing with every day. Engineering managers are usually counting the days till retirement, so don't expect any support there. Fourth, this place will dumb you down, considerably. In retrospect, I should not have expected anything else; this is a company that has been making the same thing for the past 60 years, the same way, with the same people. So all you'll do all day is sit and enter data in excel or access.

PS: All I said above might not apply to some other areas within Boeing. I'm only speaking of my experiences with IE. But typically any position that has a lot of interaction with the floor, will experience similar results.

Advice to Management

I was hired as an IE. Our job is supposedly to cut waste. Guess what. You've got huge amounts of waste. I know you're trying to get out of the North West and the Union stranglehold, but seriously, try harder. They are bleeding your shareholders and driving away good talent.