Boeing - The company treats you really well, but it's still a corporation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

"The company treats you really well, but it's still a corporation."

Former Intern - Programmer/Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
Former Intern - Programmer/Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Boeing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Boeing treats interns amazingly. It's incredible. We received many tours, got to have video teleconferences with almost all of the top executives (pretty much everyone except McNerney), received the chance to use the F-18 flight simulator, and had lots of other great events. The benefits the company provides are thorough and easy to understand.

The people who work there are all pretty sharp. They're fun individuals and are easy to ask questions to, which helped a lot. Overall, I'd say the environment at Boeing was conducive to collaboration and interaction.

Cons

The company is massive, and that causes several issues that can be a bit off-putting.

- Boeing has 175,000 employees. You may often feel that you are contributing very little to the company, and that many of the applications and projects seem like they don't need to exist.
- There is a lot of red tape. It's kind of unavoidable with a company so massive, so it's hard to fault Boeing. But of my 12-week internship, the first two weeks were spent getting my accounts set up across the company and trying to become comfortable with slower company processes.
- The corporate environment unfortunately leads to a workplace that isn't very energetic. I mentioned earlier that it's fairly social, but there's nothing terribly exciting about the workplace and it can feel very dry. At times, I definitely felt like an office drone.

Advice to Management

The company is great. I'm not trying to turn off people from working there, because there are many great opportunities available at Boeing. The fact of the matter is, though, that working at such a large corporation dampens the feeling that one is making an impact on society.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

1. "Great company and working environment."

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Highly skilled workforce. Great work environment. Committed to quality and meeting customer requirements. High ethical standards.

Cons

Not always pro-active in retaining quality talent.

2. "A good company if you are in the right place."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being a large company with several major divisions there are a lot of opportunities to grow, learn new skills, and move to different cities or work overseas. Like any aerospace company there will be layoffs when contracts end or sales of a particular product line decrease but the size and diversity of the company allows some to find work on other programs.

This happened to me once and I had to relocate to a different State to stay with the company. It turned out well as I moved into a new job classification that provided more upward mobility and program I moved to had more long term stability. The company (in the form of my old manager) helped me find the new job and there are a number of recourses available to help people find a new job in the event of a layoff.

The pay and benefits seem very competitive and I have no complaints about either.

Cons

The cons are probably similar to any large corporation working on multiyear government or civil contracts. There are many layers of management, too many system engineers and IPT leads. On government contracts like the one I work on the bean counting and required paper work account for far too much time and effort even for the lowest engineers.

The worst part of the job is inflexibility of the schedule. We hear about quality all the time but when it comes to crunch time the only thing that seems to matter is schedule. Make no mistake schedule is King. This is not entirely Boeings fault as the customer (the military in my case) want the product now and will sometimes accept them with more deficiencies rather than wait until all the bugs are fixed.

The other gripe I have is the enterprise tools we are required to use for most of our “paperwork”. Allegedly to save money everyone at Boeing has to use the same systems for things like discrepancy tracking, test procedure and software configuration management and peer reviews. These tools in many cases are being used in ways they were not designed for and none of them are user friendly or intuitive. We get very little if any training on using them so it is all based on tribal knowledge.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people first then you will not have as many worries about the quality, money or schedule.