Boeing - Job security stress always hangs above your head if you have less than 5 years at the company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boeing

"Job security stress always hangs above your head if you have less than 5 years at the company"

Current Employee - Assembler Electrical Systems Level B in Renton, WA
Current Employee - Assembler Electrical Systems Level B in Renton, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work load for the hourly is steady and can keep you busy.
The benefits for the hourly employee are decent though that is always subjected contract talks
There is always a chance to move up to a better paying job with some training that can be paid for by the company
Pay is decent for hourly workers in some positions

Cons

Parking is an issue at any of the facilities.
If you working for the company for less than 5 years there is always the threat of layoffs which you don't find out about until the day at work and you are handed a notice that in 60 days you maybe let go.
The union that you are assigned to at times can be very aggressive and they create a stressful environment in the time of contract negations. Also, be prepared for a strike either by having another job lined up or having enough savings lined up so that you can survive on them while out of work during the strike.
The management seems to support shift wars between the three shifts and this at times this causes issues where we have what appears to be work issues between what is being done and perception of what is being accomplished.
The managers at time don't know how to lead and build a team, instead it is all about trying to do better than your fellow teams even on the same shift.
Begin to accept that overtime although "voluntary" the reality is that it is actually mandatory with the threat of negative paperwork to HR if you chose not to show up and management designates you. Which only leads towards the use and abuse of benefits like vacation and sick leave to guarantee time off.
At times upward mobility is restricted by unrealistic "gatekeeping" on internal job postings. I mean realistically for a level 2 or 3 engineering or management jobs you have postings asking for Master and PhD level educations in jobs that only pay 5-8k more than the entry level jobs. Also, there should be more credit given for experience levels for some jobs.
The list of cons is longer still and of course your mileage may vary with my experiences

Advice to Management

Quit paying lip service to your idea of "One Team and One Fight"
If you promote managers from within, don't leave them in the same working team and move them out to either another shift or to another production line to prevent potential abuses of power by managers against employees
Tell employees first if there are labor issues prior to releasing the information to the public. It really sucks massively to find out that X number of jobs are being laid off or being moved to state Y in the morning drive to work and then find a note from the managers that you are one of those lucky few who have been selected for this.
There are team meetings with upper echelon at times, but instead of being a chance to help improve things as seen from the production floor. Instead the Q&As are meet with hostile stares and threats by your managers, the same ones who all of a sudden are "We didn't know about this" faces even if you had told them of the issues. Improve these meetings so that employees can feel "empowered" to help improve the processes. Otherwise you are going to keep bleeding cash over BS programs and ideas that just don't work.
Oh and be better willing to advance from within for some of the managerial positions because there are folks on the production floor that know how to lead and know how the meet the metrics you are looking for, instead of the college kids you are hiring.

Other Employee Reviews for Boeing

1. "I can see great things coming down the pipeline for Creative Services"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Boeing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Room to grow and explore
    Networking

Cons

Lack of creative freedom
    Too many cubicles

"Annoying coworker was only bad thing about working here."

Former Employee - Business & Planning Analyst in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Business & Planning Analyst in Everett, WA

I worked at Boeing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid-back, social company culture; competitive salary and benefits; great work-life balance.

Cons

Long commutes if you want to live in Seattle; I really disliked one of my co-workers, and my manager didn't care enough to help the situation; lack of good fitness facilities.

Advice to Management

Do more to show younger employees that we should stay with your company for the long haul. Modern fitness facilities, enlarged carpool/public transportation options, education reimbursement, etc.