Booking.com - Some good people, bad management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com

"Some good people, bad management"

Former Employee - Acquisition Account Manager
Former Employee - Acquisition Account Manager

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture can be a positive aspect if you are young and single. Company paid happy hours and company outings. Health benefits are pretty good and well priced. Good people. Get to travel, can be good when you're not forced to do it at least 50% of the time.

Cons

Underpaid compared to their competition.
Inexperienced management...company is growing quickly and management has no idea how to handle it. Most managers dont actually have management experience.
So called "promotions" are not merit based. Get friendly with management and tell them they are great and you'll get a "promotion" where they'll cut your pay and give you more work.
Constantly changing bonus structure with astronomical goals.
False promises on bonuses...you might get it and then lose it.
Bonuses are very small compared to competiton.
No company cards for travel expenses. Pay out of pocket and then wait got reimbursed.
HR is there for show, nothing ever gets handled the way it should.
No growth potential at this point. If you started 5 or 6 years ago you could move up but not now.
17 year old international company with an unorganized startup feel to it.
CEO said it best, "if you are here to make money the you are at the wrong place."

Advice to Management

Give your employees an incentive to work hard rather than constantly look for another job. Drop the European mentality in the US market. Employees would rather get paid more than get a couple of free beers once a month.

Other Employee Reviews for Booking.com

"Nice work/life balance. Needs to understand design better."

Current Employee - App Designer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - App Designer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

– Work/life balance;
    – No pressure to get tasks done fast;
    – Amsterdam is a great city to live;
    – A lot support and help with relocation;

Cons

– The company is more data driven than data informed and sometimes this hurt the user badly;
    – All the UX designers are also responsible for the front-end implementation and since it's not easy to find a person great on both things we ended up having not really good code neither really good design.

Advice to Management

I'd say Booking is really similar to what Google was a couple years ago in terms of culture. We need someone to do what Larry Page did for the design at Google some years ago.

And specially, we need to start hiring more specialized people. I totally agree a designer should know about code, but having designers pushing things live is a crazy idea. There's not enough people good on both things and we ended up with a lot of average.

Again, Google is a nice example of it: visual designers, interaction designers and ux engineers. That'd help a lot the company to take the next step.

2. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Content Specialist in Riga (Latvia)
    Former Employee - Content Specialist in Riga (Latvia)

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, internationality and mobility, a lot of benefits and bonuses. Great working conditions and enviroment also for learning and development.

Cons

My position was not suiting my interests at one point.