Booking.com - Did I Really Do This For Two Years? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booking.com

"Did I Really Do This For Two Years?"

Former Employee - Content Editor
Former Employee - Content Editor

I worked at Booking.com full-time

Pros

I went to Amsterdam and traveled the U.S. for a few business trips. Those are my happiest memories of the company...when I wasn't actually doing work.

Booking.com gave everyone an iPad for Christmas and threw a super amazing Christmas party at the Amsterdam headquarters, filled with booze, house music, and actual fun.

Most of the people I worked with are smart, talented, creative, and driven. I've developed lasting friendships with them.

Cons

Booking.com is the type of company that tries to trick you into loving your job. A handful of bumbling idiots fall for it and would practically give their lives for B.com. The rest of us are attuned to their games and are miserable drones whose souls exit their bodies the moment we step through the door each morning. I was a robot for 8 hours a day because I was assigned menial tasks that required zero thinking and attended pointless/endless meetings about equally worthless crap. I once attended a meeting about meetings. No lie.

If one of the Kool-Aid drinking managers doesn't like you or recognizes that you are not as brainwashed as they are, you will not advance. You will continue to do the same meaningless busy work day-in and day-out. If the managers do not personally like you and invite you to Sunday brunch or SoulCycle, you will not advance and you will most likely be driven out of the company by their cold-shoulder, high school pettiness.

If you have any ounce of creativity in your noodle, DO NOT accept a job as a Content Editor. There is minimal writing involved. You proofread text prepared by a robot and make sales calls soliciting photos from hoteliers.

Advice to Management

My advice is for upper management- the Darrens and Michaelas of the company: hire local managers with management experience. Don't hire someone fresh out of college and promote them 4 times in 2 years. They are not properly trained to manage people. They've simply worked the system.

Other Employee Reviews for Booking.com

"A company that cares about no one."

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers + opportunity for travel.

Cons

Made to feel like everything you do is wrong, unattainable bonuses and goals, scolded if any goals are not reached and made to feel like you just aren't working hard enough (even if the time frame and expectations are absolutely outlandish), plus terrible management. I've never worked somewhere that made me feel so undervalued. It is clear that this company only cares about making money for stockholders and not at all about the people doing the actual labor.

"Sales Coordinator"

I worked at Booking.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company encourages employees to lead projects and all employees are expected to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. it used to have a fun family-type atmosphere.

Cons

Depending on the office, leading projects and upward mobility is based on likability not on performance. Management runs a popularity show. It is very disorganized and too much time is spent on meetings and tracking short term progress. Workers are highly undervalued and payed below market standards.

Advice to Management

Management lacks people skills and tact. Managers have little to no managerial experience. They micromanage and expend more time targeting employees weaknesses instead of cultivating strengths.

Advice: Execute a 6-month management trial period for new managers. During the trial they must attend rigorous leadership trainings. At the end of the trial conduct an anonymous employee feedback survey. Based on the survey determine if they are ready to lead.