Books-A-Million - Buying time | Glassdoor

"Buying time"

Former Employee - Cafe Seller
Former Employee - Cafe Seller

I worked at Books-A-Million part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers made my day
My managers for the most part did their best and overall didn't bother me so much about pushing cards/magazines.

Cons

Making under $7.50 an hour for everything that is expected of you..is rude. Everyday there is a speech about selling club cards or magazines, meanwhile there is no one in the store to help customers and you are stretched pretty thin. Working a open to close (10-8) Sunday shift, because hours are cut and still only get a 30 min break.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers as if you have some decency. Understand you won't have people who want to work for you if they get paid nothing and then get in trouble for not making the numbers. Figure something else out, because you will lose workers who indeed love books and people and get stuck with ppl who barely work and make no real effort to make the experience worth it for the customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Books-A-Million

"It's what you make of it."

Pros

My coworkers made this job for me. A lot of us wouldn't have lasted as long as we did had it not been for our awesome managers and coworkers.

Cons

I didn't even mind having to sell the Discount Card, I minded have to sell the Magazines. Felt like I was selling my soul.

Advice to Management

Spend some time in the stores, realistic time on registers and helping customers, not walking the store pointing out flaws.

"Learned a lot"

Pros

The people working in my store were amazing. We had a very strong team feeling.
    I learned a lot about managing a store with budgeting, merchandising, etc.

Cons

Low pay, spiff bonuses were kind of a joke. Very long hours (but that's retail). Pushing cards and magazine subscriptions.

Advice to Management

In order to attract the talent you need to keep this company going, you need to pay your store management team members more.