Boom Marketing (San Diego) - Slave away for pennies and empty promises. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Boom Marketing (San Diego)

"Slave away for pennies and empty promises."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet a lot of younger people.
Self reliant and control your own work pace.
New job venue week to week.
Learning new sales techniques that work.
Fellow employees are all awesome.

Cons

- $8 /hr
- sketchy paychecks (if you do a google search about "the smart circle," this seems to be a theme).
- the schedule is all over the place, you don't know when you'll work until that day.

The list is endless so i'll save you some time and just search "the smart circle" and the plentiful complaints about the company are generally true. I did this when i first started and questioned the company from day 1. I also thought "man, these people just complained because they didn't want to work hard." However as time when on... a lot of the things the company told us wasn't necessarily true.

Dancer = stripper
Direct marketing = Sales (they tell you they are looking for managers but in the end, numbers are what dictates how fast or successful you will be).

There are more in depth analysis of Smart Circle's companies out there and are easy to find but if you type in google "the smart circle, the first suggestion follows with "pyramid scheme," then the first 3 website available are www.glassdoor.com, ripoff report and complaints board... and not even their own website... some red flags should come about.

My biggest gripe about this company is people not being straight forward about things. This is something i've learned... it is sales and even though they tell you otherwise... if you can sell? You will do fantastic. However... you have to remember that whoever is above you... they're there because they are good at sales... being good at sales means being good at influencing others to believe and trust what you are saying. The people at the top are very good at manipulating words to get you to believe what they want you to see.

This type of company does not need to exist very long to make money... if they can go 8 months, that is an accomplishment. Then the company tanks, they rename it to some other name and do it all over again filling young naive college graduate's with empty promises and rinse and repeat.

Advice to Management

Just be more direct with the job.

Other Employee Reviews for Boom Marketing (San Diego)

1. "Perfect job for during university, flexible and allows you to choose your own schedule and pay."

Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador
    Former Contractor - Brand Ambassador

I worked at Boom Marketing (San Diego) as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, able to choose own hours and pay, variety of locations and assignments. Company is supportive, takes care of logistical details and is willing to train new employees.

Cons

Unreliable work - goes through slow seasons

"Positively challenging"

I have been working at Boom Marketing (San Diego) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am given all the business tools and resources to succeed. The meeting atmosphere is intellectually stimulating, but also down to earth and fun. Everyone here works together to accomplish a common goal without the "dog eats dog" environment. A safe work environment is important. It's clear everyone who works here is passionate, not just for marketing, but in helping each other grow. I have learned more in the last year than I did in all my years collecting my degree. There is nothing boring about working here!

Cons

This isn't your 9-5pm job. The entrepreneur mindset that is being developed is naturally establishing a higher standard. The more I put in the more I get out. It's not easy, but it's the most rewarding place I have ever worked.