Booz Allen Hamilton - Overall, I enjoyed working for Booz Allen. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Overall, I enjoyed working for Booz Allen."

Former Employee - Associate in Leavenworth, KS
Former Employee - Associate in Leavenworth, KS

Pros

Work was challenging and gratifying; some of my colleagues have been knowledgeable and articulate professionals who were a pleasure to work with; most of the clients I have collaborated with became and remain personal friends.

Cons

An uninvolved and estranged ‘leadership’ that distances itself from the staff. An almost abject lack of communications; information is pulled by, not pushed to, the people who are most affected by the changes in the business landscape. Functional incompetents squelch the contributions of more functionally expert employees.

Advice to Management

Return to the egalitarian, collaborative, collegial, and cooperative culture of years past. Accept subordinates' considered opinion regardless of ‘rank’ within the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"A sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belcamp, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belcamp, MD

Pros

They pay decently. My office was nice, they have free coffee. Most weeks, I can usually get a free lunch from the leftovers from meetings.

Cons

Management in all of the Information Security/Assurance areas with whom I've interacted and worked seemingly have no IT backgrounds. They have learned how to talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

They recently fired on average just over 20% of their senior leadership. They also made a campaign on the radio and in recruiting to hire 1500 new Cyber people for Summer 2011. Most of them have now probably been "let go." An article came out at the end of 2011 or early 2012 that stated that Booz is not financially solvent. Management then held conference calls where they "told" us that they're "righting the ship." It was ironic as the Italian ship had just crashed at the time. It seemed to fit perfectly, as this is what's happening.

Half of one Cyber team has quit and left for greener pastures.

After accepting this job and resigning from my previous job, I couldn't find anyone who had anything good to say about Booz. One friend put it best: "Booz is where dreams go to die."

There are so many other contractors out there, and they all seem better at this point. When you consider that SAIC has been around about 1/3 as long, and has twice the number of employees and revenue, it seems that Booz is doing something wrong, and companies like SAIC are doing it correctly.

"Can be great if you make it but slowly turning into cold corporation"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

- Benefits (401k is top notch, health insurance is great, etc.)
    - Work/Life Balance. I can pretty much work at home whenever I please. Come at 10 am or leave early as long as I get my work done and do at least 40+ hours
    -My admin team and career manager really care for me personally but this is not always the case. Get a good career manager who actually cares about you!
    -Good pay and raises are nice if you work hard, earn it, and ask for it.

Cons

- Since going public, we've been really losing the culture and community of BAH. It is slowly turning into a cold-hearted corporation where people can get laid-off at a moment's notice.
    - The infamous lunches & happy hours are now long gone due to going public and the stakeholders are hitting hard on expenses and where the partners & senior mgmt spend their money
    -On the bench for 30 days? GONE. Before, it used to be at the discretion of your team but now be billable or be out
    - Utilization rate is complicated and needs to be reworked

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees and keep their loyalty. Some are jumping ship just because the culture is changing and people are little worried. Not much senior mgmt can do now that we are public and have to answer to stakeholders though.