Booz Allen Hamilton - If you are considering BAH as an employer, please reconsider. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"If you are considering BAH as an employer, please reconsider."

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The healthcare benefits are excellent.
The vacation benefit is on par with industry.
The general work environment is professional and there are some really smart and hard working people in the organization.

Cons

The upper management, principals and above are very disconnected from the organization. I was in the firm for over a year yet the only time I met my principal was when he hired me and when he laid me off.

The staffing process is a joke, there is no process you are expected to apply to each job as you would externally and have go to through the same process (i.e. multiple interviews, non responsive hiring managers, recruiters and even negotiate salaries due to salary caps). There is no help from the internal resource managers.

In terms of work, most of the work is staff augmentation. There are very limited consulting opportunities, for the most part BAH is operating as a staffing firm where it fills seats with its resources.

BAH hired several hundred people for its new "commercial practice" yet laid them off within a matter of 3-6 months so job stability is non-existent.

You are expected to take any project whether it is a skillset match or not or even aligned with your career goals just to keep your job.

There is no severance process, you are just given a 2 week notice and shown the door unlike most of the top tier consulting firms.

The assessment process is very cumbersome and biased. They say it is a 360 feedback yet only specific feedback is filtered into the final assessment to ensure that you get the planned "assessment"

Advice to Management

Don't hire people if you don't have the work or signed contracts.
Cut all the overhead costs (Senior Associates and above) to make your your hourly rates more realistic and competitive with the market landscape.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"It was a great place to work."

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and training are good
    Salary is fair, maybe above the market.
    Interesting project work if you can get it

Cons

No job stability
    60 days of being unbillable and you're out
    Doesn't matter what your track record is - if you're unbillble after 60 days, they let you go with either 2-4 weeks of severance

Advice to Management

Place more value on keeping good people rather than just the bottom line. Let us work internal projects while billable opportunities are in process, as opposed to just cutting people loose after 60 days no matter what. This is a poor business model that will lead to a major brain drain. Why would anyone want to stay knowing that no matter what your track record is - if you lose a contract, you're gone in 60 days. This would serve the shareholders better than what you're doing now.

"Great place to launch a career out of college!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got lucky and was recruited into their Strategic Communications practice. The team culture was fantastic and I got the ability to meet and work with many talented people. They also encouraged me to get inovlved in other firm activities like diversity, recruitment and volunteerism.

Cons

Overall it felt a bit hierarchial. There was a process and approval for antyhing which sometimes actually was a benefit. I felt after one promotion it would be very difficult to keep "climbing" each strand in the promotion structure.

Advice to Management

Focus on the talent and clients. I think going public has hampered the culture.