Booz Allen Hamilton - Overall, good experience, but there are some downsides. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Overall, good experience, but there are some downsides."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm (in general) has flexible working arrangements. There is also ability for advancement, but the promotion is very structured. You really have to work hard to get promoted here.

Cons

The company seems to care much more about being profitable since it has gone public. Management is always going to responsible to shareholders, but shouldn't be at the expense of the employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"You Can Decide Your Career Path and Work With Good People"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pros for me was being able to decide how far to take my career in terms of doing a lot of work outside of the normal 8 hour day. Yes, Booz does a lot of proposal work outside of the normal work day; however, you normally don't have to get involved unless the proposal is a recompete for the contract you are on and the window for working the proposals are relatively small. Booz promotes from within and they bring in people so it's up to you to get involved with business development if you want to get promoted. There are no guarantees on this and that is one of the cons. The people at Booz were great to work with and to work for. My pay was good for the industry I was in. My entire time was on client site.

Cons

If you want to get promoted beyond Associate, you must do a great job in your normal job and do business development. Even then there is no guarantee. I saw people who worked extremely well and hard, did business development, and still didn't get beyond Associate. I was on the outside looking in and there may have been other areas the people were weak in but there were a couple of people that I knew were very good, had great client relationships, did a lot toward business development and still didn't get promoted. As you can see from my rating, I was still very satisfied with my time at Booz and left the door open to return if I every want to. The other con for a "vet" of Booz was the company changed a lot over my nine years and usually to the displeasure of the workers, but the business climate has also changed so the changes were needed, such as no longer being a private firm and going public. That caused accountability to shareholders and less loyalty to the individual employee, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Do whatever is possible to show employees they matter just as much as shareholders. The perception among my peers was that the shareholders started to take your eyes off of the people who do the work. Certainly the bottom line is important but good people help you get to that bottom line.

2. "Good company, good reputation, dont get lost"

Current Contractor - Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Contractor - Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

balanced work / life, the compensation is good and the management style seems to be macro- hands off, which I like

Cons

you can get lost in the company and turn into 'just someone filling a seat' on a contract

Advice to Management

ensure good communication with on-site, client facing staff. This is where opportunities are born, and future contracts grow up