Booz Allen Hamilton - Stable and respected, but a bit dull | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Stable and respected, but a bit dull"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After having worked at Booz Allen for five years, I can say that there are a lot of awesome things about the firm. It's a good place to work, with pragmatic management that make generally intelligent business decisions. The ECAP contribution is outstanding, and I had consistently fantastic administrative management. Salaries are generally consistent with market competitors (e.g., Deloitte, PwC, CEB) but I've heard of the occasional massive bump, though its not typical.

Cons

With that said, its easy for an ambitious young person to "hit the deep end of the pool" in terms of what the firm can offer. The business model is designed for "command-and-control"-style business development and responses to client RFPs, which is stable (to the extent that the government pipeline is consistent) but doesn't engender a ton of entrepreneurial spirit. The firm isn't positioned to do work on small strategy teams, preferring to launch massive, expensive engagements (which is very pragmatic and stable, but boring). Finally, its becoming a bit hard to determine what the firm's strategy is in terms of the commercial / international market. Even though it claims to be interested in the space, I haven't seen much progress.

Advice to Management

The firm needs to figure out how to balance the need for work/life balance and the practical realities of project work. This is, after all, consulting. It is hard work.

The business model also needs to evolve past pure federal government consulting work. Sustainable growth of 10% a year won't be possible using this alone.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Mundane and Brain dead work"

Former Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay
    - Flex Schedule
    - Benefits
    - Laid back work environment

Cons

This review is based on my experience at Aberdeen/Belcamp office and doesn’t reflect the entire Booz Allen Hamilton Company. The Aberdeen office is just another "body shop" where management is throwing their hats in any and every RFQ that CECOM puts out on the market. Although management love to say that BAH brings intellectual capital to the table but most of the work is brain dead and mundane. The only positive is that they compensate you quite well.
    Most of the focus seems to be on burning down the funding without evaluating the value being provided to the client. Sad part is the client doesn't really know/understand what they are getting (a lot of fluff). The management lacks people and professional development skills.

Advice to Management

Identify the key things that BAH (Aberdeen office) brings to the table and distinguishes BAH from other body shops. It is ok to say "no" to a RFQ if the work is not BAH's specialization instead of hiring to get bodies in place. Start utilizing matrix organization and really utilize "reach back" capability.

"Rollercoaster"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ECAP is awesome! I have worked for Booz Allen for five years (almost) and the first four years I thought I would work for BAH for the rest of my life. The management were respectful and remained committed to their people. Those people are gone now... The tuition assistance is great provided you don't find or have to find another job. As you have to stay for a considerable amount of time before you don't have to pay back the full amount of the tuition assistance.

Cons

The company culture is in serious decline. Like many of the other reviews the company has gone from an employee first work/life balance which made people want to work for Booz Allen and remain hard working and loyal to rats trying to jump off a sinking ship in some aspects. As soon as the company went public it seemed to change overnight. If you have a life outside of Booz Allen you might want to find something more secure. The firm needs to concentrate on its retention of people who built the firm up to where it is and not shareholders. Referral bonus is among the lowest in the industry.

Advice to Management

Take the company back and return it to its former glory as a private company with a family corporate culture and a big business with a small business mentality. The beach was one of the companies best assets over other firms. I have seen us lose more business over not having someone in the bull pit to capture business than I have seen with the new business approach.