Booz Allen Hamilton - Reputable company, but at luck of the draw of what project/task they assign you. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Reputable company, but at luck of the draw of what project/task they assign you."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very reputable company. It is a "people" company where they care about the person first. If you are between tasks (BAH calls, "On the beach") they will try to find new a new one. Not always successful in that regard, but at least you know they are trying to look out for you when you are done with a project unlike other places I worked.

Cons

Some of the projects they assign are on thin ice. Some you go to and do not really work. I understand that you need to take the initiative, but when your client has nothing for you, you begin to stray away from what you were hired for. We had to see if other sections of our client (from our assigned one) had anything we can help with. Some did, some did not. Also, you may have the credentials to work for this company when you apply, but it is fifty-fifty whether they will call you for that first interview.

Advice to Management

So far, so good on treating the employee with respect and trying to find a new assignment for those "on the beach." But it seems bueracracy is starting to show its ugly head. Try to minumize that. Also, check out some of the projects BAH has, some employees are just "collecting a check" through no fault of their own.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"This once great consulting firm has become an outsourcing company"

Former Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of the firm that still retain the former greatness of the Booz Allen culture. The collaborative spirit, adherence to core values, thought leadership, excellence in everything that they do, career development for all staff, professionalism (acting that way and treating others that way), client service, hiring the best and brightest. To date, I have not run upon anything quite like those aspects in my 10 year career. I learned things at Booz Allen that I would never have learned elsewhere, and really the "secret sauce" of what made Booz Allen great could really work anywhere.

Cons

Things were great when I first hired onto Booz Allen in 2008. Then things went quickly south. First the Carlyle buyout in mid-2008 which changed things a little but not appreciably. Then going public in late 2010 when the Partners said "nothing would change" when in fact everything changed (weekly utilization drills, increased scrutiny of expenses). Then the mass hiring in 2011 of unqualified staff for non-existent positions in the ill-timed, ill-advised "Take Share" initiative. Then the mass downsizing in 2011-2012. Bit by bit, the firm has become beholden to the shareholders versus what it was always beholden to: its clients. This has led the company to value a "butts in seats" outsourcing approach to government contracting versus the classical management consulting approach of the gilded age of Booz Allen. No longer are people valued at Booz Allen, they are just a commodity to be sold cheaply. When your task runs out, you're out the door. In some fairness to Booz Allen leadership, the clients (or really, client, the Federal Gov't) don't value thought leadership in the classical sense (The gov't provides the thought leadership, right?). Joking aside, I don't think that Booz Allen knows what hit them since the change was so gradual they really think that nothing has changed in the culture of the company.

One last thought and that is that the management at Booz Allen made a fatal mistake in relying on the double-digit annual revenue growth model where the firm's revenue grows fast, faster than the infrastructure can keep up leading to a growth-binge-growth-binge model where profits come from the infrastructure not keeping up. This model may have been great for the fat years, but is dismally insufficient for the current fiscally constrained environment.

Advice to Management

Go private again. This is what you always said was your big strength. Being private meant you could take long-term risks without worrying about immediate payoff. You could keep people on the bench longer because you weren't as worried about profit margins. You also didn't waste all that time on quarterly earnings reports and other drills.

2. "I have had a very positive experience at Booz Allen"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Support
    - Highly Intelligent colleagues

Cons

- Hard to navigate corporate culture
    - Pay (and raises) at the Associate level is mediocre

Advice to Management

Increase the raises
    Provide greater opportunities for advancement