Booz Allen Hamilton - Every Man for Themselves | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Every Man for Themselves"

Former Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Herndon, VA
Former Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are cleared to the right level you are treated very well
Decent Pay
Retirement is best in biz

Cons

When it comes time to switch jobs you are a burden, career managers are a joke. You are required to find your own work, which wouldn't be a problem if they told you that up front.
No technical jobs, not much talent, most of the talented people are gone or are leaving. The company is loosing work due to their high bill rates and sub standard workers. Going down hill fast.

Advice to Management

Realize what the company is now and adapt accordingly. And that is a just another gov contractor.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"A good company that values their employees"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in O'Fallon, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Level II in O'Fallon, IL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training opportunities
    Value employee opinions
    Career opportunities
    Interesting work

Cons

A bit stodgy
    Bureaucratic
    Not very agile in thinking

Advice to Management

Get out to the satellite offices more often and talk to the employees. Also, we need to become more agile in our decision cycles, especially at the management levels.

"Slow Drift to Mediocre Government Contractor"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Booz Allen 6+ years ago and left in 2012. At the outset, it was a great company to work for with a myriad of opportunity to learn and grow from smart and talented people and from a company with a 95+ year tradition in consulting. I worked primarily in the public sector and day-to-day the client-work coudl be so-so (it is government, so I wasn't always working with the most talented people operating in a high-performing environment), but I took pride in working for Booz and found it to live up to its ideals as a "great place to work" and learned a lot. UNTIL.....

Cons

Just about everything changed with the Carlyle private equity firm investment and subsequent public offering. Booz's reputation in the marketplace is pretty at odds with the internal reality. Booz Allen Hamilton is no longer a consulting company, but a large Federal contractor. In the past 2-3 years the company culture has slowly gone adrift as we focused on short-term financial results, cost-cutting, and rewarding senior management and Carlyle for their "performance" (e.g. see $1B "special" dividend paid for with junk debt and cash we should be conserving in this uncertain gov't market). At the same time, training, benefits, awards, salary increases, team all-hands, and holiday parties are all being cut or trimmed. But, don't worry, you'll be expected to be available for early AM, evening, and weekend work anyway.

By the end it was a very disillusioning environment with little upward mobility thanks to extreme politics and a misguided desire to hire "talent" externally, as is reflected in the 30-40% turnover in some teams (those are actual metrics, no exaggeration). The best and brightest who have other opportunities are sadly fleeing for the exits while a lot who are left describe their career as "at least it's a paycheck".

SO....if you're looking for a stable job as a Federal contractor, Booz isn't a bad place to land. If you're looking for what Booz is trying to sell a lot of people on...an opportunity for challenging and strategic consulting work where you'll be rewarded, I'd recommend Accenture, Deloitte, or a lot of other mid-size actual consulting firms.

Advice to Management

-Reward great work and commitment with internal promotions
    -Start firing the senior leaders you brought in with core values issues
    -Cut out the non-value added overhead at the Senior Associate and above level who add little to no value to client work and still delegate much of the marketing/business development to Leads and Associates.