Booz Allen Hamilton - I have very little bad to say about Booz Allen. I have very high quality colleagues and challenging work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"I have very little bad to say about Booz Allen. I have very high quality colleagues and challenging work."

Current Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
Current Employee - Senior Defense Research Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality people
Challenging and meaningful work
High-integrity culture
Focus on people development through training and tuition reimbursement
Work-life balance
Executive leadership is always adjusting to the landscape and ensuring the health of the business. I believe that we have real adults in leadership in the Firm.
The bi-annual people survey is actually used to make changes that improve the work conditions for employees.

Cons

I personally do not like the fact that as one becomes more senior they are required to market. It is just not my preference.

Advice to Management

More flexibility to take a technical or project management track only without an emphasis on business development.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Downward spiral of Management aptitude, upward movement of overhead and big company problems"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Name recognition, Overall company stability (not individual stability).

Some more tenured management employees are great to work with. Plenty of projects in the greater DC area to often choose from or switch between (especially if entry-level, non-management). Good first employer for recent graduates.

Cons

Smaller teams can largely exist independent of their home offices, yet on paper exist as a single entity. The problem with this is all communication can be routed through a single team leader, collaboration can cease to exist, HR problems develop (especially if with that team leader) and client relationship health is largely reported by a single individual, regardless of how accurate it is. This can (and often does) lead to a "high school cafeteria" type of environment.

Mid to upper level management is increasingly made up of unqualified individuals, individuals fulfilling a larger goal of demographic diversity and individuals with poor managerial skills (if not good consulting skills). Assessment process riddled with inconsistencies, interpretations and "exceptions".

A ton of lip service in policy establishment, management practices, consulting skills and day to day client relationship training. Training time increasingly unclear as to how it effects work schedule (recent policy change).

Being 1° separated from the government has led to many government time-frame approaches to work and efficiency problems.

Advice to Management

Throw out the entire annual assessment review process and start from scratch. In the 3 years that I was there, I was exposed to 3 vastly different "interpretations" of the process. None were effective, none were unbiased and none were agreed upon by all parties.

TOL process is very inefficient, once should be able to report on a weekly basis then have a window of time to make corrections prior to submission.

2. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility in working environment and allowed to work from home

Cons

Hard to promote to level 4