Booz Allen Hamilton - Not What It Once Was... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Not What It Once Was..."

Current Employee - Associate Developer in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Associate Developer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) is pretty stable if you work in the technology sector despite changing government sector. If you work in Cyber, Systems Development, or something related your job security is pretty stable. Even when contracts funding becomes problematic I have never found issues finding new projects.

One thing I love about BAH is that they seem to offer pretty flexible schedules which helps work-life balance. It all depends on the contract though. If your offsite at a government office things are pretty limited depending on the contract, but if your working onsite management wil let you work from home at times and with the new hoteling model you can eliminate long commutes altogether.

I think BAH offers plenty of opportunities to network with individuals even though hoteling model has taken away from this somewhat. There are plenty of forums, focus groups, and events to give you an opportunity to meet people across the company.

Cons

BAH is extremely political. You may find yourself in hot water at times for saying the "wrong" thing. The "wrong" thing depends on the person and can range from just being honest and at times not responding at all to something. The culture at BAH can be troubling at times. From my experience individuals tend to go to someone's direct report about an issue rather than resolve the issue with the individual. Management from my experience has accountability issues when it comes to their own decisions when things go awry.

Moving up in BAH will require you have the right people in your corner. Again this is about politics more than anything else. Who your friends are and who is backing you is very important. Nevermind what your peers think it's more about WHO thinks WHAT that matters.

Recently, there has been an exodus of people leaving the firm. As others may have echoed in their reviews the firm was purchased by Carlye Group and Investment firm. Things began to rapidly change afterwards. What also hurt the company was the decision to go public. As a result of the new market and declining earnings, the ECAP (401k) program will be revamped giving employees less employer contribution. Many benefits have been reduced or eliminated. Employee rewards are less, networking events (that cost money) have been eliminated, and PTO accrual rates have been reduced.

BAH was a dream company to work for 5-6 years ago, but they are slowly becoming an average company that does not pay competitive wages according to the market. What attracted people to BAH was the culture and benefits. Both are a shell of their former selves.

Advice to Management

Whatever it takes go private and eliminate Carlye. Return the company back to its people first culture. Find ways to differentiate BAH from other consulting firms. As of now nothings distinguishes BAH from any other government contractor.

Invest in employees. To be competitive on the market and provide clients with the most up to date technological services, you have to be willing to assist staff. For example, BAH has wanted to do mobile technologies for some time but has not seriously invested much to it. Lotteries for mobile training isn't enough this needs to be company wide.

Restore the ECAP. Revamp has hurt employees morale and willingness to deal with much of the changes. Keep the company as midsized company. Stop the takeshare program that brings in questionable talent. Finally, retain quality staff. You get what you pay for.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Fun but not too valuable of an experience - Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were really friendly and the building I worked in was great. The pay and perks aren't too shabby either.

Cons

Most days I didn't really do much of anything except sit and play around. I can't complain too much since I got paid but I didn't really gain much valuable experience.

2. "Great place to learn and start career"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to start your career and gain consultant skills
    - Flexible work schedules

Cons

- Too much time in between projects
    - Not a lot of connectivity to office when on client side