Booz Allen Hamilton - Excellent Place to Work, Learn, and Network | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Excellent Place to Work, Learn, and Network"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very structured approach, sophisticated and polished consulting company, detail oriented, policy and procedure driven.

Cons

Political atmosphere, can be bureaucratic at times

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Like others have said, not what it once was"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Four years ago I posted a glowing review of the firm on this site. In those four years, most of the pros I had listed have steadily been withdrawn. But for now, if you were a new hire you can still feel some of the vestiges of what made the firm the firm: a desire to support its employees to make sure that the best and brightest came here instead of our competitors. It's on its way out, though.

Cons

The incident I feel most sums up where things have gone downhill: I'm not the only staff who noticed that they solicitied firm-wide input to spend time taking the employee survey--a large portion of which discussed our time off benefits--only to release a new policy on that issue within days of the survey closing changing our benefits. In other words, to early for them to have possibly had any time to review and actually care about the results. For a firm that markets strategic communications expertise to clients this was an epic fail.

In addition, most of us have seen the ECAP phase-out writing-on-the-wall coming for a while. Mark my words, this is just the start of what eventually will turn into a vanilla 401(k)/matching system. Just like our competitors.

Advice to Management

I am truly upset to see the direction the firm is taking, and I am not the only one - every non-senior staff on my team has the same concerns. I've worked for our competitors, and what drew my resume to the firm was that we went the extra mile to hire the best talent, and did what it took to keep us here. It would be good to remember that the thing that has provided us the ability to beat our competitors has been the resumes we are staffing to the clients. If working here is no different than any other contracting company, we're going to lose that edge because our talent pool is going to go to the Lockheeds and General Dynamics that can rely on building actual products to compensate for work-replacement contracts. Right now the firm's leadership is trading off on our reputation with the clients...but that's not a limitless pool, and if things don't turn around we are going to lose that capital too.

"A cog in the big government consulting machine"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Government very much needs the services that Booz Allen Hamilton provides
    Strong sense of community (when Strategy & Organization staff based primarily out of the Allen Building)
    Talented workforce (very high relative to other competing government consultant/contractor organizations)
    Training and Development
    Knowledge Management
    Great brand/prestige

Cons

Distribution of S&O workforce around Beltway will create cultural and knowledge-sharing challenges
    DC traffic
    As a Transformation Consultant with substantial C-Suite OpEx/Lean/Six Sigma experience in the private sector, I observed that transformation in government was too limited by factors such as
    - client contract requirements
    - client team members' attitudes emphasizing compliance to the contract (rather than collaboration and change towards the art of the possible)
    - Booz Allen (Sr Associate and above) emphasis on maintaining relationships (and revenue streams), resulted in firm risk management taking a priority to providing the client frank, honest feedback based on private sector best practices