Booz Allen Hamilton - Excellent start to a consultanting career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Excellent start to a consultanting career"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provided a wide range of opportunities for consultants to build the core consulting skills, along with developing deep knowledge in particular functional and/or industry areas.

Cons

After the Split with the commercial practice, opportunities for roles in certain sectors became non-existent. Also, depending on your alignment, you could be fored wo continually work in a specific sector regardless of your expressed career interests.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good."

Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Associate III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall my experience at Booz Allen has been good. I work on a distributed Team and therefore I don't have to deal with the office politics and office work environment that others may have. Your work experience at Booz Allen depends on who you work for and your specific client assignment. Mine have been mostly good; so I have been generally happy with my work experience at Booz Allen and have learned from it.

Cons

My pay has been good, but as Federal contract work has become difficult to win, there has been a tightening up of salary increases, benefits (401k program being reduced) and other nickel and dime issues such as getting office supplies approved or travel reimbursements have more nit-picky questions from audit. Part of this may also be from the firm going public in 2010 and ongoing pressures on management for profitability. Probably 80% of Booz Allen's work is Federal contracts. So a reduction in this market area going forward will be issue for the firm for the foreseeable future until it can transition to other growing markets in the private sector or internationally.

Federal clients can at times be great to work with, and at other times, not so much. There is a lot of uncertainty within the Federal government now, which makes getting direction from Federal clients difficult, especially for long-term planning or commitments.

Several reviewers have described Booz Allen as having essentially moved to a staff augmentation firm or "butts-in-seat" vendor, rather than a true consulting firm. I would agree that a large bulk of the work that BAH now does is that type of work, but they also still do some high quality consulting work. A portion of my work could be described as staff augmentation and that has been ok for this period in my life as I have found it a little less stressful and easier work at times than full-time consulting work. It's just important for potential applicants to understand the type of assignment they would be working and give some thought whether you want to do that work and would grow from it career wise before jumping in.

"Great experience so far."

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent flexibility for a company of this size. Terrific work/life balance for a consulting firm.

Cons

Direction of the company is very worrisome, appears to be gravitating towards a Northrop Grumman or SAIC as opposed to Deloitte and McKinsey.