Booz Allen Hamilton - Good firm but the Carlyle Group is slowly destroying the brand | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Good firm but the Carlyle Group is slowly destroying the brand"

Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good work-life balance, decent stability, ok pay. Still winning contracts and multiples on labor rates have gone down some. Still some value to the Booz Allen name and there is a consulting legacy that can be salvaged.

Cons

Pay a bit lower than competitors, Retirement reduced, and very stingy with leave. Lack of real engagement form so-called leadership. The Carlyle Group the equity firm that owns Booz Allen is dismantling everything that made Booz Allen a marque consulting firm. They have made near 100% billable targets, reducing opportunities for development and growth, the structure is still way too top heavy and Senior Management does little to contribute to performance and growth. Cutting retirement -ECAP is and will have negative impacts on the morale fo years to come. Our labor rates are still high but now we have sub par employees with no experience, little training and no leadership - trying to do a good job but ill equipped. The move toward "butts in seats" instead of qualified consultants is harming the Booz Allen brand and will tank our image and reputation.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat at the Senior Management levels - they are not performing and you are hurting your more junior staff with the 100% billability targets. We are too expensive because we have too may Principles, VPs etc. not because Levels 1-4 weren't working hard enough. Pass on "butts in seats" type of contracts unless we can really add value. Get back to our consulting roots and be different than the other beltway bandits by getting good people and keeping them with superior benefits and engagement.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"You are just a number"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belcamp, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belcamp, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market is aware of Booz Allen and what we used to be. The health and benefits are good, education is 5k a year.

Cons

Find out everything about the position and be careful what location you work out of! Salary is sub-par and forget about work life balance. They will work you for the client and expect to work for free for proposals. Unheard of weekend hours will be expected from you and you get no extra cent. You have a billable 'b' number and you are fine, but as soon as you have no billable number you are let go in 2 weeks. Stay away from the Belcamp office supporting APG. There's nothing to do here and the mgmt is cut throat. There are no funding for employee networking, no picnics, no team spirit building. Mgmt is the used car salesman type. You will be a 'butt in seat' situation. Annual leave isn't as great. Decision of future contracts in jeopardy due to recent news. Hope you get a good Manager and not someone who's there because of their title. Be aggressive in your talks with BAH Mgmt or you will be left behind on all aspects.

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle mgmt, we have too my lead and Sr associates who don't care about their employees under them. Proposal work should be done my mgmt and they should have some clue of what their employees do. Level 1-3 shouldn't be expected to work for free or weekends. Stop this big boys club! Hiring ex-DoD just because they have contacts doesn't make sense, who will do the actual work?

2. "Great People and Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LA office has a good group of fun people; fun culture with quarterly events planned. Work on a variety of Satellite programs for the military.

Cons

Work is not as technically challenging as other technology development companies. Lots of changes in management structure that are being rolled out very slowly. Sometimes management seems disconnected with what is actually happening at headquarters that impacts the LA office.

Advice to Management

More open and honest with communication