Booz Allen Hamilton - A once great company that has been decimated by a series of bad decisions | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"A once great company that has been decimated by a series of bad decisions"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I spent over 8 years at Booz Allen and learned a lot. I had a fantastic manager who worked with me to ensure I maximized my learning opportunities. I have always said that a year at Booz Allen is like 3 years in a masters program / MBA - I learned a tremendous amount in the time I worked there.

Cons

For as great as my local management was, my future was tied to the pyramid system of marketing to different clients. If my clients budget was growing I had promotion opportunities, if it was shrinking then I had no hope. There is a lot of talk about cross-pollination between client teams and markets, but in my experience I did not see it happen as often as it should have.

Advice to Management

Study your competitors and try NOT to repeat their mistakes. With the Carlyle buy-out you've started down a path of becoming a "Lockheed Martin" and I think you've ruined the corporate culture because of it.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Not the same company I joined 7 years ago... granted it's also not the same market we've seen during the last 10 years."

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Impressive coworkers that challenge you intellectually and professionally (for the most part); it's definitely still better than all the other "body factories," i.e. Sotera, GD, BAE, SAIC, etc. Firm is leading the way on Cyber, Cloud, and Big Data Analytics.

Cons

Firm has lost its differentiator as a company that "hires for a career." It's all about utilization now. If you're not client billable for more than a few weeks, it's "thanks, and good luck."

Advice to Management

Don't dilute the brand in your efforts to become more price competitive.

"Great place to be until the last few years"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Booz Allen has always had some of the brightest and hardest working people in the industry. They had a very deep bench of talent but that is all starting to change as they become more and more like every other large body shop in the area.

Cons

Ever since they were bought by Carlyle the culture changed for the worse along with the benefits and compensation. Management at the VP and up level is completely clueless with regards to what motivates their employees and how to communicate with them. Any interaction with them is straight out of a Dilbert cartoon. Some Principals get it but you can tell the ones that are about to be promoted because it looks like act like they have been given a lobotomy. The mid-level management core (the Sr. Associates) is completely demoralized and most are leaving as fast as they can. Very few talented people at the Associate level want to be promoted since the don't perceive any value in doing so. Booz no longer rewards talent. This is going to leave a hollowed out shell of a company that will most likely have a catastrophic collapse in the near future.

Advice to Management

Cutting salaries and firing people creates a highly unmotivated workforce. The ones with talent leave and you are stuck with ones that can't find another job. Word is getting around that Booz is no longer a good place to work.