Booz Allen Hamilton - Good opportunities, really changed after IPO, heading towards body shop | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Good opportunities, really changed after IPO, heading towards body shop"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are amazing. There are some amazing folks who are working there and are helpful to your career (BAH and beyond), but you need to reach out to find them. There are lots of events outside of work and people are really engaged in the community.

Cons

There are a lot of opportunities around the company, but once you are on a project and the client likes you, you will not be allowed to move - even after being there years. Once you tell them you are leaving suddenly the tune changes, but then it is too late.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If you want to keep folks, help them help you.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Not for the faint hearted. Waste of time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet a few decent people

Cons

Nepotism
    Favoritism
    Unethical
    Poor management particularly with career and reporting managers who rule with an iron fist. If you are assigned to a bad manager; you will not develop in your career or be promoted.
    The firm purports to having a "networking system" through which you are able to find billable work. Its not true if you are under a poor manager. Managers shut employees down when they try to network with senior staff.
    Very caustic work environment. Its very stuffy in here. Lack of teamwork.Its a man eat man environment. Everyone tries to cover their tracks. Do not be surprised if you get rolled off a project almost immediately after you got started.
    Most good people have left. The few who are left are constantly looking to get out.
    Project work is not challenging and is very admin focused which anyone can do.
    Unable to grow in career path. Not much reimbursement to take courses or classes.
    Finding billable work is getting harder everyday.You will be let go in a heart beat if you cannot find a billable project.
    If you are looking for a new position; please take on a position elsewhere before you consider this company. All the reviews on indeed, glass door and career bliss are not objective. You will be better served applying elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Management is completely clueless as to what actually goes on within the firm. There are too many layers. Get rid of lead associates they are absolutely unnecessary. The firm seems to ignore employee complaints. They act like they take issues seriously, but its all a smoke screen.Managers easily stifle staff development and do not support employee growth in their careers. If your manager does not like you; they will work hard to get rid of you. I stopped referring anyone to this firm. Too many employees do not like the work environment. Its getting a pretty bad reputation in the metro DC area. I would encourage Schrader to get into the lower levels of the firm to get first hand info from employees. I am sure he will be surprised to know that he has very many dissatisfied employees. Its only a matter of time before this firm tanks leaving many employees jobless. The government is cutting back on its budgets and the firm is heavily dependent on government contracts particularly in the defense market. The firm is not globally competitive. The firm cannot compete with Deloitte and Accenture who have a global reach in almost every continent. Booz is a back bencher.The firm often prices itself out when it bids and has lost many potential projects. It almost like something catastrophic needs to happen to get your attention. I will not be surprised if I hear this firm does not exist in the near future.

2. "Great post-military firm to get your civilian career started"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 10 years in the Army, Booz Allen helped me tremendously in getting my civilian career started. The firm is heavy with military vets who are more then willing to help show you the way. The human capital here is incredible. Some of the smartest people I've ever met work here at Booz Allen. Depending on what your professional background is, you will get to work on some interesting and very dynamic projects.

Cons

The boom years of government contracting is over. The firm being bought by Carlye Group has brought about changes to the firm. Pay is so-so. Compensation is more there to help with inflation. I have seen the firm lose incredible talent due to compensation issues. We need more, stronger leadership at the Associate and Lead Associate levels.

Advice to Management

We need to get more work with private industry. The government shutdown we just went through exposed the vulnerability of our over-reliance on government as a client. We need to diversify our work and we have to do it with a sense of urgency. And start adding higher compensation to your rank-and-file consultants if you want them and their knowledge/experience to stay in the firm.