Booz Allen Hamilton - Great post-military firm to get your civilian career started | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Great post-military firm to get your civilian career started"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 10 years in the Army, Booz Allen helped me tremendously in getting my civilian career started. The firm is heavy with military vets who are more then willing to help show you the way. The human capital here is incredible. Some of the smartest people I've ever met work here at Booz Allen. Depending on what your professional background is, you will get to work on some interesting and very dynamic projects.

Cons

The boom years of government contracting is over. The firm being bought by Carlye Group has brought about changes to the firm. Pay is so-so. Compensation is more there to help with inflation. I have seen the firm lose incredible talent due to compensation issues. We need more, stronger leadership at the Associate and Lead Associate levels.

Advice to Management

We need to get more work with private industry. The government shutdown we just went through exposed the vulnerability of our over-reliance on government as a client. We need to diversify our work and we have to do it with a sense of urgency. And start adding higher compensation to your rank-and-file consultants if you want them and their knowledge/experience to stay in the firm.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Fair management, good benefits, enjoyable coworkers"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Colleagues and teammates are intellectual, friendly, and open to your friendship or discussion no matter what. The firm is very diverse both in background, ethnicity, specialty, and age. If you get on the right team and enjoy the work you do, be it internal or external, you will reap the rewards from best-in-class benefits, good 401k matching, excellent colleagues, and a stable company.

Cons

Government financial concerns can create job instability if you are client facing. It can be hard to move up the proverbial promotion chain as the firm's growth is capped until government financing is resolved long-term. Current upwards mobility is limited, so make sure you only enter in where you want to be for a while.

"Smart people, but not as good as the reputation the company once had... and management with questionable priorities"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people and some interesting projects

Cons

The company needs to reduce its overhead expenditures on silly things that don't matter (videos, newsletters, websites) and do its best to remain competitive without shortchanging employees' salaries and 401k matches.

Advice to Management

Get the people who are not on client site focused on producing, and cut out all non value added 'niceties' that drive up billing rates.