Booz Allen Hamilton - A good but not great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"A good but not great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture with emphasis on respect, collegiality, diversity, and productivity. No drama, no yelling, no abusive bosses. Strong focus on development of technical skills, then development of business development skills and strategy. A great place to hone one's professional skills, see how an efficient corporation works, and develop consulting skills. Competitive compensation, especially for junior staff.

Cons

Booz can be a very demanding place to work, and very stressful during government proposal season. Life/work balance gets some lip service, but most people who are getting ahead at Booz live for their jobs, and are very focused on doing what is right, pleasing their bosses, and being subservient to clients. I think for most people Booz is not a fun place to work. It can be very serious, cold, and impersonal. With staff dispersed across government client sites it can be very challenging for staff to stay connected to their managers. It is also common within Booz for people to be very hard working but not get recognized for it.

Advice to Management

Booz is an adaptive organization, but still very much a conventional one. They haven't yet figured out how to embrace the business ethos that has come from Silicone Valley, Apple, Zappos, etc. Booz leadership looks to innovate in the company structure, operations, and service offerings, but they don't spend as much time or effort figuring out how to innovate within the organizational culture--updating the People Model has been a good start, but the firm needs to do much more to make Booz a place that attracts and retains creative, innovative people. Booz is a great place for people who love to make lists, check boxes, navigate bureaucracy,and do what is told to them by their managers, but we do not have an environment that is conducive to unleashing the true creative potential of our people.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"My experience"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of pros.

Cons

While I worked at BAH, my rights under labor laws to pay for hours worked and to correct unjust accusations in my record were ignored. I was cheated out of my wages for hours worked. They do not have a fair dispute resolution process, or get the other side of the story. There is no independent advocate for the worker. Their managers can be as abusive and deceitful as they want and get away with it. There is no oversight or accountability for there managers. I was discriminated against because of my gender. I was not given credit for the work I did.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. Comply with US Labor Laws on the treatment of workers.

"This is a company in flux"

Former Employee - Internal Financial Operations in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Internal Financial Operations in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, from multiple disciplines. An ethical company that aims to grow through providing real value to their customers.

Cons

The company grew very quickly after 9/11 (As did many defense contractors) and they now have a glut of middle managers who are (IMO) over paid and who have no clear mission. There is a constant churn of reinvention, as the company tries to retain younger workers, lower its indirect cost structure, and figure out what all those people with 10+ years experience are doing day to day..

In addition, sequestration and general defense cuts are making this a very unstable company at the local level. Unless you are in McLean (The Mothership) you won't be working for "Booz Allen" you will be working for your local contract(s). When the local work ends, your employment will to...

Advice to Management

Invest in your internal processes. You can't run a fortune 500 company on Excel spreadsheets. Also, take a good hard look at the people who were promoted during the "good times" and see what they are doing now. It won't be easy, but many of them are not providing value and are simply inventing work to protect their turn... You don't need 100 "assistants to the sub-account manager"...