Booz Allen Hamilton - This is a company in flux | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"This is a company in flux"

Former Employee - Internal Financial Operations in Colorado Springs, CO
Former Employee - Internal Financial Operations in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, from multiple disciplines. An ethical company that aims to grow through providing real value to their customers.

Cons

The company grew very quickly after 9/11 (As did many defense contractors) and they now have a glut of middle managers who are (IMO) over paid and who have no clear mission. There is a constant churn of reinvention, as the company tries to retain younger workers, lower its indirect cost structure, and figure out what all those people with 10+ years experience are doing day to day..

In addition, sequestration and general defense cuts are making this a very unstable company at the local level. Unless you are in McLean (The Mothership) you won't be working for "Booz Allen" you will be working for your local contract(s). When the local work ends, your employment will to...

Advice to Management

Invest in your internal processes. You can't run a fortune 500 company on Excel spreadsheets. Also, take a good hard look at the people who were promoted during the "good times" and see what they are doing now. It won't be easy, but many of them are not providing value and are simply inventing work to protect their turn... You don't need 100 "assistants to the sub-account manager"...

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

1. "Fantastic company"

Former Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was one of the only places where I was surrounded by driven, intelligent, professionals. The work life balance was great, as was the compensation package. I liked the ability to work for multiple clients as well. They spend an awful lot of money on individual training too. It's a great chance to travel to other Booz Allen locations and network with others in the company.

Cons

I really didn't have any negative experiences when I was there. I know some of my other co-workers were less then satisfied with some of their Senior Associates though. Working on client-site is difficult to maintain a corporate identify when your leadership chain isn't keeping you involved or informed.

Advice to Management

Make sure on-site employees are effectively communicated with.

2. "Good Company, but too much hidden politics, not transparent"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, training programs, benefits, good work and life balance

Cons

relies too much on government budget, too much preference to people with military/government connections

Advice to Management

Placing people according to their background, not just expertise.