Booz Allen Hamilton - Team changes hinder staff development | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Team changes hinder staff development"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, great to work with, great training, focus on work-life balance, decent pay, good variety of projects

Cons

Need to be a strong self advocate. HR is awful, do not expect any help from them. If your team changes a lot you can easily get lost in the shuffle and end up on projects that are not interested to you or good for your skillset or development.

Other Employee Reviews for Booz Allen Hamilton

"Some consulting, but mostly contracting"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It varies by project, contract, team, manager, etc., but good work life balance and flexibility to work remotely
    Some clients are really engaged in BAH's work and are motivated to take our recommendations
    The people on my team are smart, conscientious, and caring individuals

Cons

Career mobility is an illusion. If you're fully billable, you're stuck.
    Calling it "consulting" is a stretch. Most of what I have seen is staff augmentation
    Anybody who was here before the IPO talks about how great it was back then (aka, not now)
    Huge pressure to bid low on contracts means people with multiple years experience are getting Lack of Work letters, while teams primarily hire people straight out of college (read: low hourly rate)

Advice to Management

BAH's only assets are its people, so it's short-sighted to treat people like fungible billing units

"Smart people, interesting work, changing culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with some of the smartest people in consulting. The rich diversity of experience among colleagues means you will never stop learning and that client solutions often positively reflect that diversity. The pay, while not the best in consulting, is decent. Work/life balance has been great, but this highly depends on the project and your ability to proactively manage your own balance. This place is the closest thing to a meritocracy that I have ever experienced.

Cons

The culture has continued to evolve quite drastically since going public. Leadership has been very vocal with staff about things "not changing," but we all know that change is inevitable. Unfortunately, for Booz Allen, this has manifested in high turnover, layoffs, and reduced perks. The retirement plan has gone to crap since going public. There is a wide sense of fear that once your project ends, you will receive a "Lack of Work" letter; yet the company is still hiring aggressively because leaders are rewarded for "growing their teams." Morale is the lowest I have ever seen it, and the pressure to contribute extra hours beyond your client work to be seen as too valuable to receive LoW is high. Additionally, incentives to pursue promotion are decreased, since doing so will only make you more expensive and harder to staff. Reorganization of market-based teams to be "more competitive" has created silos and frankly hosed our ability to staff projects and share best practices. It has also reduced our ability to differentiate from competitors through our deep functional expertise.

Advice to Management

Rethink your incentives for leadership around administrative growth. The Resource Management function is quite rudimentary (i.e., barely functional). Focus more on leveraging the top talent you already have over hiring new staff. The perception is that the clock is ticking on all of our once-great benefits/perks; since we clearly do not have the highest salaries, this is going to make people think twice before coming here. Maintaining profitability through cutting costs (benefits and staff) is only going to get you so far in today's marketplace.