Borders - Borders, a great place for the curious individual. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Borders

"Borders, a great place for the curious individual."

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME
Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME

Pros

Set schedule no surprise shifts!. The knowledge base of all the employee's is vast and diverse, it's always fun to learn new things. Great discounts for employees.

Cons

the store is to far from my home..but i guess that's not really a downside. All in all it's a good place to work the people are nice and my co-workers always lend hands when i need them. maybe the downside is pay isn't phenomenal.

Advice to Management

Keep on being open and reliable. You have all been where i am before just starting out and trying not to get to much wrong.. just keep the communication flowing and everything will work itself out.

Other Employee Reviews for Borders

"It's amazing how much can go downhill in 5 years"

Current Employee - Training Supervisor in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Training Supervisor in Troy, MI

Pros

Free book loans, flexible scheduling, interesting characters to work with.

Cons

Payroll hours make the floor desperately understaffed. Management, DM and above, seem to be clueless as to how hard it is to run the store day to day. The only way that employees will get fired is if they steal from the store, despite how useless and rude they may be. The wages are horrible even if you have seniority. Borders Search 2.0 is horrific.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting the stores to have excellent CSI, Comps, BR Numbers, Sales, and morale when there are only three people on the floor most times. And in general, get your act together and start supporting the stores.

"Smart enviroment but advancement is very limited."

Current Employee - Bookseller in Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Puyallup, WA

Pros

Intelligent co-workers & wonderful products. Getting very simple to train new hires since they've mainstreamed processes. A lot of employees have been working for this company for a very long time.

Cons

Chances for advancement are slim to none. I've tried for 5 years. However, if you can get at least a supervisor job, it's easy to learn all the fields. As far as changes goes...my personal opinion is rarely solicited.

Too much to say at the Point of Sale. Customers get irritated and we sound like robots. Some people like to be left alone.

Advice to Management

My advice is towards headquarters... make sure all departments are on the same page. The right hand never knows what the left hand is doing. Causes tremendous conflict and sense of feeling on edge whenever major fixture changes happen. Some of us feel like we have 3 bosses to please.
    Be open for bookseller opinion. Just because you get paid more doesn't mean your ideas are better.
    New store layouts are too cramped. Make newer stores more spacious, get rid of fancy aisle deigns.