Borders - Great work environment. Diverse, collaborative, and edgy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Borders

"Great work environment. Diverse, collaborative, and edgy"

Former Employee - Training Manager in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Training Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Borders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity, Autonomy, Work-life balance, smart co-workers, collaborative.

Borders has a great rep for acceptance of all people, regardless of age, gender, race, or lifestyle preferences. Indy atmosphere. Aggressive and autonomous work environment.

Cons

Biggest con is that they are out of business! On a corporate and store level the comp was below average. Directionally, Borders went the wrong path and did not fully embrace new technologies which consequently led to the downfall of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Borders

1. "Overly corporate - the environment can be alright, but the undertones are always that you could be selling more."

Former Employee - Paperchase Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Paperchase Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Borders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My managers were all decent, and when you worked in Paperchase you had a fair amount of freedom. The work was decently amusing - consisting of receiving and stocking the colorful non-book items to code, kind of like a pointless video game.

Cons

The tracking numbers for selling borders rewards cards were stressful to both employees and customers (who didn't want the cards and disliked being asked to buy them over and over). The management had a tendency to look at our stores #2 in the region position and ask, "why aren't you working harder? We could have been #1." Borders kept around 40 employees on Part-Time status to avoid giving their employees benefits. They only had two full time positions at our store other than management, and those people were not given very good benefits either. Oh, and Borders corporate made it clear that they thought employees were lying thieves. We had to be checked for stolen merchandise every time we left the store, and cafe employees couldn't even drink a free cup of drip coffee on break (costs the store 1 cent per ounce).

Advice to Management

Value your employees as people more. People do better work when they are supported and feel like the company values them. There is very little likelihood that an employee treated like an evil thief is going to feel much loyalty to you, and employees and managers alike know that customers don't like being badgered to buy a $20 card, an extra pastry, oh and make that coffee a large when they're just trying to get a small cup of drip coffee before work, so stop making everyone live through that.

2. "meh its okay, went down hill fast"

Former Employee - Barista in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Barista in Cary, NC

I worked at Borders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly people, flexible hours, discounts were nice

Cons

company was going under so hours were hard to come by and constant harassment of customers for a borders rewards card was grating.