Borrego Solar - a good solar company | Glassdoor

"a good solar company"

Former Employee - Site Superintendent in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Site Superintendent in San Diego, CA

Pros

Solar electricity is an up and coming field and the work will continue for a long time. Borrego is transitioning from a small residential and commercial engineering, design and construction firm (EDC) to purely project management. Borrego was a good place to learn the basics of solar electricity and project management. A friendly work environment and good people.

Cons

Management did not have training for any of the workers other than on the job. Manuals were not updated and no specifications were set in place. Designers were not field experienced. Some of the staff needed more training and field experience. Some of the field personnel did not have good quality control and attention to detail that had to be corrected by supervisors.

Advice to Management

Have training for personnel. keeping your workforce up to date is the best way to stay competitive. Look at employees better and promote based on ability not longevity.

Other Employee Reviews for Borrego Solar

"Wow! Just wow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people! I think it has to do with the fact most employees are really talented AND they care deeply about the environment and just doing the right thing in general.
    - An HR department that really cares and is working day and night to make sure we are all doing well and actually having some fun.
    - Professional growth - unlike most companies, Borrego wants you to design and champion your own career and they'll support you. You just have to go for it.
    - Great company with a great reputation - Borrego has been in the game for over 30 years and it respected by its clients, partners, and employees for its dedication to quality and integrity. Also, the company exceeded something like over 200% of it's aggressive goals last year and is projected to have another awesome year in 2017.
    - Compensation - when the company does well, the bonuses are impressive. I was doubting whether the pay was competitive but then they started doing market adjustments to bump up people's pay
    - Culture - it seems they want us to have fun and recognize each other. We could all do a better job of it but they give us tools and encourage us to celebrate as much as possible.
    - Work-life balance - they really just manage your performance and you can take off when you want instead of most companies where you have to carefully plan out how you are going to use your 10-15 days off a year. They also are really flexible with you working remote when you need to. This is important to those of us that have started or want to start a family. It's actually really convenient for people who like to travel because I know employees that go off to France or India and work remotely there for a while.

Cons

Borrego is in that transition phase from a smaller organization with a lot of freedom like a start-up to a mid-sized organization that needs more structure. This can be stressful, especially for the tenured employees used to complete independence. The good news is that everyone in the organization from the CEO down is very transparent and there is a culture of listening and working together to figure out things. People don't just make big decisions about your work without you being involved.

Advice to Management

Continue to be approachable and to listen. You should also throw your full support behind what HR is trying to do with the culture and professional growth. They only just started but they are on to something and it's making a big difference in so many ways.

Borrego Solar Response

Jul 12, 2017 – People & Culture

"Wow" is right. Thank you for the incredible review. Our goal is to create the best possible human experience for each and everyone of our employees, so everything you listed is very important to... More

2. "Design Engineer"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time

Pros

Good place to learn concepts

Cons

Lots of office politics stops work progress

Advice to Management

Value the employees

Borrego Solar Response

Oct 23, 2017 – People & Culture

We are super happy to hear that you've been learning while at Borrego - we put a lot of emphasis on the continuous improvement not only in our processes but also when it comes to developing our... More