Borrego Solar - a good solar company | Glassdoor

"a good solar company"

Former Employee - Site Superintendent in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Site Superintendent in San Diego, CA

Pros

Solar electricity is an up and coming field and the work will continue for a long time. Borrego is transitioning from a small residential and commercial engineering, design and construction firm (EDC) to purely project management. Borrego was a good place to learn the basics of solar electricity and project management. A friendly work environment and good people.

Cons

Management did not have training for any of the workers other than on the job. Manuals were not updated and no specifications were set in place. Designers were not field experienced. Some of the staff needed more training and field experience. Some of the field personnel did not have good quality control and attention to detail that had to be corrected by supervisors.

Advice to Management

Have training for personnel. keeping your workforce up to date is the best way to stay competitive. Look at employees better and promote based on ability not longevity.

Other Employee Reviews for Borrego Solar

1. "great place low pay"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you have access to a lot of moving parts within the company since everyone is expected to wear a lot of hats....

Cons

feel overworked for the compensation considering what the rest of the industry is offering. Sometimes the work doesn't feel like it's appreciated or valued.

Advice to Management

be willing to a slightly higher base salary and hire more managers so staff feels like they're being mentored and developed professionally.

Borrego Solar Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I did want to point out that we have been listening to our employees about compensation. We are actually in the middle of a market rate analysis because we ... More

"Small but mighty commercial solar company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oakland, CA

Pros

Humble and relaxed culture, great people, and genuinely trying to do the right thing for solar and its' employees.

Cons

vacation could be encouraged more - unlimited vacation culture varies team to team

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging teams to improve and experiment and reward them!

Borrego Solar Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR and Training

Thank you for your kind words! Our biggest asset is our employees and we are immeasurably proud of the culture we have built and the strength of relationships. We appreciate the feedback on our ... More